Thread: 3 monitors on 11.10 - catalyst keeps crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

3 monitors on 11.10 - catalyst keeps crashing

Until recently I have been running 10.10 and everything there worked like a charm. I had the catalyst installed for my two hd3600 radeons and I could easily work with all my 3 monitors. After long consideration I eventually updated to 11.10 and now (of course) nothing works anymore.

With ubuntu 10.10 the official amd catalyst driver was the only one that let me configure the two graphic cards so I figured its my best shot with 11.10. The newest version (11.12) installs fine but then when I try to make changes to the settings it just crashes always when I press 'Apply'. How do I get the driver working so that I can have all my monitors back in use. Anybody else experience these crashes?

Thank you
    Ubuntu 10.04 | ATI Radeon HD3650 | 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM | AMD X4 955

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 3 monitors on 11.10 - catalyst keeps crashing

I run only two monitors, but had the same problem with catalyst crashing when trying to save settings (with Ubu, Xubu and Lubuntu). Don't know if this is the only way to do it, but it was the easiest way for me. Install the kde desktop; log into a kde session; configure and save catalyst settings; logout then log into Ubuntu session.

Of course, installing the kde desktop uses a hefty amount of extra disk space and adds a bunch of apps that clutter the system menu... but it made the Catalyst Control Center functional. I actually enjoy using the kde session occasionally.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

I'm not using Ubuntu at the moment but if I recall correctly it will work fine if you just run "sudo amdcccle" from a terminal. There's no need to install KDE or anything like that. My guess is that it's some sort of conflict with gksu.

Also, I must add that compositing + Xinerama on ATI is impossible. That's what's keeping me on Windows, after trying several different distributions and failing to get that combination to work. The open-source drivers don't cut it for gaming in Wine, unfortunately.
    Last edited by unnddd; December 29th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow, thanks a lot! I installed KDE and there I really actual could configure catalyst, and under KDE all three displays work like a charm. Under gnome the amdcccle command did work as well, and I am now also able to configure my drivers there. The only problem I'm currently having is that both my extra screens are just white right now. I can go to them with the mouse but the courser turns into a black 'X' and I can't drag windows into these desktops.. This only happends with gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaosdesigner View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot! I installed KDE and there I really actual could configure catalyst, and under KDE all three displays work like a charm. Under gnome the amdcccle command did work as well, and I am now also able to configure my drivers there. The only problem I'm currently having is that both my extra screens are just white right now. I can go to them with the mouse but the courser turns into a black 'X' and I can't drag windows into these desktops.. This only happends with gnome.
    Did you manage to get compositing and Xinerama both working in KDE? If so I'll have to give Kubuntu another go!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by unnddd View Post
    Did you manage to get compositing and Xinerama both working in KDE? If so I'll have to give Kubuntu another go!
    Xinerama is working flawlessly, now even under gnome. Haven't tried getting into compositing, not sure if I want to right now to be honest. Have made a lot of traumatizing experiences with it and for now I want to enjoy my working configuration for at least a while before I mess everything up again .

Been always a amd/ati-man but after a while it really becomes a pain under Linux..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by unnddd View Post
    I'm not using Ubuntu at the moment but if I recall correctly it will work fine if you just run "sudo amdcccle" from a terminal. There's no need to install KDE or anything like that. My guess is that it's some sort of conflict with gksu.

Also, I must add that compositing + Xinerama on ATI is impossible. That's what's keeping me on Windows, after trying several different distributions and failing to get that combination to work. The open-source drivers don't cut it for gaming in Wine, unfortunately.
    For me "sudo amdcccle" only worked after installing Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by chaosdesigner View Post
    Until recently I have been running 10.10 and everything there worked like a charm. I had the catalyst installed for my two hd3600 radeons and I could easily work with all my 3 monitors. After long consideration I eventually updated to 11.10 and now (of course) nothing works anymore.

With ubuntu 10.10 the official amd catalyst driver was the only one that let me configure the two graphic cards so I figured its my best shot with 11.10. The newest version (11.12) installs fine but then when I try to make changes to the settings it just crashes always when I press 'Apply'. How do I get the driver working so that I can have all my monitors back in use. Anybody else experience these crashes?

Thank you
    Did you try downgrading to cat 11.11?