Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are system76 bios open source?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Are system76 bios open source?

I tried to sign the petition, but all I saw was a transparent grey box and a loading circle.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Benton View Post
    System76 laptops are made by Clevo. [...] System76 takes Clevos, rebadges them, installs Ubuntu, provides drivers and support.

To be precise , it's a bit more than that. because the Bios is personnalized so the Brand Name reported by dmidecode is reall"System76" .

Also system76 have shown that New bios could be released by clevo , dedicated to system76 machine to correct the linux OS handling.

So there are different levels of "Manufacturers" and system76 is quite close to clevo ( compared to others like Airis who don't understand why bios support is important )

System76 people, correct me if I'm wrong.

Beans

Couple of years ago this came up and System76 said that open source BIOS is simply not stable enough. They will move use FOSS BIOS, if one would work well enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    There is an online petition to move to coreboot.

http://www.petitiononline.com/system76/petition.html
    Signed

Beans

I have the Lemur 2 (Lemu2) laptop from System76. It has a Core i3 chipset, and I don't think CoreBoot supports Core i3 chips. Does it? If so, how would I install CoreBoot on my System76? Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
    I have the Lemur 2 (Lemu2) laptop from System76. It has a Core i3 chipset, and I don't think CoreBoot supports Core i3 chips. Does it? If so, how would I install CoreBoot on my System76? Thank you
    I highly doubt it. Also, your bios is motherboard stuff. Not exactly related to your processor. I would not recommend trying it unless it was completely supported. If you attempt it yourself will probably destroy your system and you will not be able to fix it without sending it in. You have been warned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    I highly doubt it. Also, your bios is motherboard stuff. Not exactly related to your processor. I would not recommend trying it unless it was completely supported. If you attempt it yourself will probably destroy your system and you will not be able to fix it without sending it in. You have been warned.
    This is correct. This type of problem requires motherbaord repalcement too, which is extremely expensive.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    I highly doubt it. Also, your bios is motherboard stuff. Not exactly related to your processor. I would not recommend trying it unless it was completely supported. If you attempt it yourself will probably destroy your system and you will not be able to fix it without sending it in.
    CoreBoot's definition of "supported" is "another user got it work."

I know I have an Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge, which this page says CoreBoot v4 supports.

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    This is correct. This type of problem requires motherbaord repalcement too, which is extremely expensive.
    So, the ROM chip would need un-soldering? Or does the ROM chip just snap on?

So, does CoreBoot not support CLEVO/KAPOK boards?

(Also, my LemU2 is basically a CLEVO 3100. Here's CLEVO's manual for the S310xx series.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
    CoreBoot's definition of "supported" is "another user got it work."

I know I have an Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge, which this page says CoreBoot v4 supports.

So, the ROM chip would need un-soldering? Or does the ROM chip just snap on?

So, does CoreBoot not support CLEVO/KAPOK boards?

(Also, my LemU2 is basically a CLEVO 3100. Here's CLEVO's manual for the S310xx series.)
    No, the only BIOS System76 laptops support are the ones released by System76. They don't support any other BIOSes, not from Clevo, not from Coreboot, but only us. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12