Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Tablet can I install Ubuntu ?

Beans

Which Tablet can I install Ubuntu ?

Hello,

I would like to watch CNN news in my kitchen when I am having breakfast in the morning. I have an Ethernet connection only.

I would like to hand it on the wall, and with the touchscreen with a menu to select news/cnn tv live/movies/and online radio.

Which tablet would be available for such design, because in the informatics stores, they all tell me that it is impossible. Those are dreams mister.

An example, samsung galaxy tab tablet in only wireless, and ethernet is not possible, and foremost ubuntu installation is not allowed.

For 200-300 $/€ would be perfect.

Thanks

--
    I can and will not install wireless (no way to talk about it).
    Last edited by honeybear; December 29th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which Tablet can I install Ubuntu ?

What you need is a desktop computer, then, with a touchscreen monitor that you can mount on the wall.

Ubuntu doesn't run on tablets yet, and tablets don't come with an Ethernet port. If you don't want to get Wifi, then you can't use a tablet for streaming video (3G is not reliable enough).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There actually are a limited number of tablets with ethernet ports avaliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The difficult part is going to be picking up a touchscreen monitor for a decent price. Building a mini- or micro-ITX box that runs Ubuntu and connects to your network is easy, but sourcing a good touchscreen could be much trickier. Do lots of research and don't buy anything without getting testimonials from people who've already tried a particular device.

You wouldn't even necessarily need to stream the content over the internet if it's just TV. You could just install a TV tuner in it. DVB-T tuners are pretty small and inexpensive these days, and even come with a remote.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post
    I had a feeling there was one, but it might be difficult to find in some parts of the world.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    What you need is a desktop computer, then, with a touchscreen monitor that you can mount on the wall.

Ubuntu doesn't run on tablets yet, and tablets don't come with an Ethernet port. If you don't want to get Wifi, then you can't use a tablet for streaming video (3G is not reliable enough).
    it's getting there for ibuntu

http://galaxytabhacks.com/galaxy-tab...-10-1-tabuntu/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brandel Valico View Post
    ... or none actually?

Beans

For one thing, a tablet would be awfully small to watch TV on, if it were hanging on a wall.

You'd be better off buying a touch-screen enabled all-in-one PC, like this one.

At ~$570 US, it is comparable in price to a high-end tablet, but it is a more appropriate size for watching TV (since it has a 20" screen). Plus, it has 6 open USB ports, so you can just get a USB network adapter (like this one) to hook up the network, if you don't want wireless. Since it is a full-blown PC (rather than a tablet), you can put whatever OS you want on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ethernet on a tablet would make it too thick for most users.

Also a full scale OS like Ubuntu is worthless on a tablet. The screens are way to small for normal use. Most have 800x480 screen, not a fun size to click links or close apps. That why mobile sites use simplified graphics and larger links. Then you want cable TV that's another tuner card. the smallest I know of still requires a Coax cable.and most are bigger than usb wifi cards. And why no wifi, that's just odd. Cordless phones operate in the same bandwidth, its totally safe.

Technically right now some cable companies like Time Warner and Cablevision allow iPads to watch TV on them, but its runs on wireless internet. So unless you live in their service areas and have an iPad and wireless internet you are not getting what you want.

Beans
    Hidden!

You should look at XDA to see which tablets can run Ubuntu. But watch out, I thought the Transformer would run Ubuntu, but it seems that Asus recently made a better locked bootloader, so we can only root it, but we can't install a non-android OS anymore on recent made tablets.

and for the Ethernet, why don't you buy a wireless router to get your ethernet in the air? I don't see the problem. Wireless lan only reaches some meters, so you can even physically protect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast