Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Script only does anything when launched in Terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Script only does anything when launched in Terminal

Good!

Thanks for the BIOS info. Now I have a version number and date as a baseline.

So the HP TM2t BIOS:
    Code:
            Version: F.25                                                       
            Release Date: 02/18/2011
    does not supply hinge switch info. through "HP WMI hotkeys".

Beans

hey, sorry if im late to the party, but i have the same machine and a couple scripts that i had modified from here and there around the web. they work great for me as far as handling rotation and auto rotation. i used xmodmap to map the button on the side of the screen(keycode 161 on mine) to f13(mapping it to rotatewindows made my system crash when i tried to use it) and told my desktop manager to run the command "rotate ccw" when pressed. i also added auto-rotate to my startup programs, and set permissions on both to 755. These scripts make Linux handle rotation the same way it was in windows, including turning off the keyboard and touchpad when in tablet mode(saves power and reduces the amount of heat produced. Also, prevents accidental keypresses) and opens cellwriter when orientation isn't normal(waay better than the win7 onscreen keyboard) Still some tweaks I intend to make, and will post when done if anyones interested. I had a question about brightness on boot, but that doesn't belong in this thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanks! I would use these, except I've grown rather fond of the Magick Rotation set-up I have because my touch screen doesn't turn off when I close the screen, and on my desk I have my desktop and its keyboard set up behind my laptop, so my left arm tends to rest on the laptop when I use the desktop. Magick Rotation's click-to-disable-touch-screen feature is completely essential. I don't know how I lived without it, constantly accidentally shutting down my laptop and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi cbe665,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Thanks for sharing the scripts. Wow rotate.sh is fancy!
    including turning off the keyboard and touchpad when in tablet mode(saves power and reduces the amount of heat produced.
    That is a good idea. Why not in the automatic rotation script too?

One word of caution though. I tend not to use ID # in scripts because they can change, usually when another usb device is plugged in. So "device names" are preferable because they don't change. But not much of a problem, obviously, with a tablet PC.

Beans

Ah. I hadnt considered that they might change, but if they stay the same then it should work on the touchsmart tm2. I actually hadnt thought of using device names instead, and supposed if it didnt match up with someones devices, they could edit the script as needed for their machine, but if i can make it more efficient, then thats all the better. I didnt turn off the keyboard and touchpad in the auto rotate because it calls the rotate script, but i actually need to move those to the auto rotate because it didnt dawn on me until after i posted that sometimes i use the laptop in portrait while open, like an actual notebook. Also, i found that once you use the rotate button, the auto-rotate script stops working, but i think that should take care of itself if i make the scripts independent of each other. So, the scripts still need work, but thats just as they were when i posted them. Like i said, if theres interest among tm2 users, ill post updates later. Actually, i need to get some work done today, but after work ill tinker some more
    Last edited by cbe665; February 8th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234