Thread: Unable to get XBMC working on Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Unable to get XBMC working on Ubuntu 11.04

Hi all,

I am having issues getting XBMC to work on Ubuntu 11.04. I have an Acer Aspire 7741-4433, and I have installed XBMC, but when I try and run it I get the following error:

"XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver."

I am not sure what I should do, so I go to the command line and throw in the following command:

lspci

To see what video card I have and I am running, and this is the output that I get:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)

So I am not sure what type of video card this is, how I can get a driver for it, or how I can get OpenGL rendering for this card, but if anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to get XBMC working on Ubuntu 11.04

Sounds like you need to install the appropriate driver, open the dash and search for additional drivers. Do you have a driver you can install ifso install it.

If there is no driver listed open a terminal and run sudo apt-get update and try again. If there is still no driver listed what hardware are you using?

Beans

I have tried all of this, and it still does not work. I am running an Acer Aspire 7741-4433. All the information that I have listed, should be the hardware that I am running. Is there something else that I could try to see exactly what I am running for my video?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is this and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=Intel+GMA+HD this relevant https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

If not give a little more detail on the video card sudo lshw

Beans

Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone that has been helping, but here is what has happened. I tried to install the GMA 500 driver, and my screen went blank on reboot. Tried to recover and remove, and nothing was working. So I tried something a little weird. I reverted to Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit and installed XBMC, found it worked with no problems. I am not sure what is going on with this, but it has certainly gotten interesting...anyone with any information please help.

Hazard