Thread: ATI driver problems

Beans

ATI driver problems

I have recently Installed Ubuntu 10.04 and I can't seem to make my graphic card drivers work.
    My graphic card model is ATI Radeon 9550.
    I tried 3 things to install them & none worked.
    1st System->Administration->Hardware Drivers.(nothing was found).
    2nd System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.
    All of the packets I needed were already installed.
    3rd Downloaded the drivers from www.amd.com and installed the .run file.
    Still nothing works.
    System->Preferences-> ATI Catalyst Control Center gives this error on start->
    Code:
     p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition.  It could be caused by the following.
      No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
     Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    Help appreciated.
    I cant open any 3D games or set Appearance visual effects to maximum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI driver problems

Which version did you download? If the Additional Drivers tool doesn't find a driver for your card, this usually means there is no support from ATI for your card.

Beans

Well i downloaded the one for 9x series which had my gfx card in the list.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smiche View Post
    I have recently Installed Ubuntu 10.04 and I can't seem to make my graphic card drivers work.
    My graphic card model is ATI Radeon 9550.
    Old card. ATI dropped Linux driver support for this card soem time ago. You have two options
    1. use old version of the OS where drivers sitll worked (not recommended).
    2. Use the opensource driver that is provided automaticly by Ubuntu on install. there is a way to use PPA to upgrade them to latest version if you do not want to use the latest Ubuntu version that also has them. Some more info on this can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

I tried 3 things to install them & none worked.
    1st System->Administration->Hardware Drivers.(nothing was found).
    2nd System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.
    All of the packets I needed were already installed.
    Indeed they were.

3rd Downloaded the drivers from www.amd.com and installed the .run file.
    Still nothing works.
    System->Preferences-> ATI Catalyst Control Center gives this error on start->
    Code:
     p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition.  It could be caused by the following.
      No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
     Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    Help appreciated.
    Wrong approach that will not work as the latest ATI drivers do not work under newer Ubuntu versions. you will need to remove them now if you managed to install them and revert to open source ones. use this page to help you with that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

I cant open any 3D games or set Appearance visual effects to maximum.
    9500 should have good 3d support with opensource drivers. follow the first link i gave you for more info or if you decide to upgrade the drivers.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The only proprietary ATI driver for the Radeon 9550 Series is a legacy one which will only work with Linux releases prior to 2009 - for Ubuntu that means the obsolete 8.10 or earlier. See:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English

Unfortunately, there is no alternative to the open source driver in 10.04 for that legacy card.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

How can I get the open source driver x.x?