Thread: Itunes 10.5 Wine installation HELP

Beans

Exclamation Itunes 10.5 Wine installation HELP

G'day peeps

I received an Ipod NANO 8gb for xmas, but since I use Mint11 for my main OS, I cannot use Itunes as I could on a windows OS.

I recently tried to install Itunes 10.5 using Playonlinux, and it said that it installed properly, but whenever I try to run Itunes from either the desktop shortcut and/or Playonlinux itself, it comes up with an error message that says:

Apple Application Support was not found.

Apple Application Support is required to run Itunes. Please uninstall
    Itunes, then install Itunes again.

Error 2 (Windows error 2)

I extracted the AppleApplicationSupport.msi file from the Itunes 10.5 executable, and double clicked it to start it, but I get another error message that says:

The file '/home/cj/Downloads/iTunesSetup/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

I don't know what to do about this, I've already tried to sync my Ipod using Banshee, but that did a big load of **** all, said everything synced properly but when I turn on the Ipod, there is "No music available".

Installing Itunes is my fallback plan...

Does anybody know a fool-proof way of installing Itunes properly on Mint 11 without resorting to using Banshee or other useless alternatives?

Cheers

CJ
    Intermediate Linux knowledge, 3 distro's tried and loved 8)

Beans

Re: Itunes 10.5 Wine installation HELP

I am getting the same problem. I used do sync normally. I applied an apple update on my iPod 5th generation that i guess messed it up,and now i am only able to sync with iTunes.

Beans

I guess this new version has some protection ... hate apple right now ...

Beans

I'm just gonna give up on putting it on my Linux OS and put Win7 on a usb and use that for Itunes lol... And yeah, apparently Apple has put something on the Ipod that doesn't allow any other program to sync music to it, unless you jailbreak it, which I have no intention of doing lol.

Cheers for the replies

CJ
    Intermediate Linux knowledge, 3 distro's tried and loved 8)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've had good luck with gtkpod.

And good luck getting iTunes to work under Wine ... Apple is strongly opposed to any sort of open-source platform thanks to its late founder's prejudices (ironic, given his background in the homebrew computer movement) and keeps moving the target.

I've gotten iTunes to open under Wine, but it couldn't see the USB-connected iPod or connect to the Internet. That was a couple of years ago and I haven't bothered since I realized somebody had actually gotten gtkpod to work.
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans

Question Re: Itunes 10.5 Wine installation HELP

Foster Grant - How did you manage to get iTunes working with Wine? Whenever I open it it comes up with a message saying:

Apple Application Support was not found

Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again.

Error (Windows error 2)
    I'm using Kubuntu on an Acer Aspire 5332 if that helps in any way.

Thanks,

Oscar