Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 and Ubuntu not recognizing each other's partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows 7 and Ubuntu not recognizing each other's partitions

Beans

aepokh, I don't think you realize the impact of what you've done. There are many many people on the forums today (January 2013) still trying to get a dual boot of Windows and Ubuntu installed on their EFI machines which utilize GPT partitioning.

I've been at it for over a week on my new Macbook Pro reading forums and generally going insane.

You say you solved your problem by simply creating a partition table, but really don't say what that partition table was. This could be the solution to my (and many others problem).

FYI, I believe the reason that the Ubuntu installer was not seeing your Windows installation or partitions when you tried to install Windows first, is because of a still-present (as of Jan 2013) bug in the libparted library that the Ubuntu installer uses. Effectively, the size of the protective MBR that the Windows installation created in order to support GPT partitioning is confusing the Ubuntu installer. Perhaps when you created your new partition table you accidentally? got something right. I may be talking out of my 'donkey' also since I'm no expert. I'm just speculating based on things I've read elsewhere.

If you can provide any detail on how you partitioned, what utility you used, and then which OS you installed first after the partitioning, that would be great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This thread is over a year old, you should probably create a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12