Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does apparmor in complain mode serve any security purpose?

Beans

Does apparmor in complain mode serve any security purpose?

If I understand correctly, apparmor profile in complain mode only reports instances of violations of rules by the corresponding application but it does not deny the application of doing the action. Is apparmor profile in complain mode really a security tool? It seems to me that an OS remains unprotected if an apparmor profile is in complain mode. Is that correct?

Beans

Re: Does apparmor in complain mode serve any security purpose?

That is correct, as far as I know. The complain mode is only really useful when testing Apparmor profiles that you have written or amended to see the impact of the changes made to the policy without the new restrictions affecting the program as it is running. If an overly restrictive policy (e.g. one that stops non-risky actions) were enforced, some features would appear broken without feedback that apparmor is the cause (you would have to check the logs to find out).

If you want to avoid using complain mode, you could try apparmor-notify from the Software Centre. With this package, you can run your policies in enforce mode and, when the apparmor stops an action, you are told through notifyOSD (though only if you're running the program in an admin account, as far as I know).

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arroy_0209 View Post
    If I understand correctly, apparmor profile in complain mode only reports instances of violations of rules by the corresponding application but it does not deny the application of doing the action. Is apparmor profile in complain mode really a security tool? It seems to me that an OS remains unprotected if an apparmor profile is in complain mode. Is that correct?
    FYI, many distro's don't ship with apparmor installed. I've not found a compelling reason to use it on a home computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    FYI, many distro's don't ship with apparmor installed. I've not found a compelling reason to use it on a home computer.
    They usually have AppArmor or SELinux. I recommend its use on the home PC, because it protects against many attacks.

Complain mode i great for making custom configurations. It allows you to debug a new rule without your system being crippled by it. You can have multiple rules for one application. A default rule can be implemented, while the customized rule can be in complain mode. Once debugging is complete, the default rule can be removed/disabled and the new one set to enforce.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    They usually have AppArmor or SELinux. I recommend its use on the home PC, because it protects against many attacks.

Complain mode i great for making custom configurations. It allows you to debug a new rule without your system being crippled by it. You can have multiple rules for one application. A default rule can be implemented, while the customized rule can be in complain mode. Once debugging is complete, the default rule can be removed/disabled and the new one set to enforce.
    Well...I guess I need to learn how apparmor works, and how to use it. But, not to be controversial, what does it protect against that's a risk with a standard home linux load, with iptables, etc. Most of the stuff I read on apparmor seems to apply to enterprise installations of linux.
    Last edited by aeronutt; December 24th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Beans

Well...I guess I need to learn how apparmor works, and how to use it. But, not to be controversial, what does it protect against that's a risk with a standard home linux load, with iptables, etc. Most of the stuff I read on apparmor seems to apply to enterprise installations of linux.
    I would expect enterprise systems to need AppArmor less, unless there is an improperly locked down network involved.

AppArmor's use is explained here.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Complain mode is just "pretending" it's working purely to get the logs, to see what needs editing in the config, most security stuff like selinux and grsec (rbac) use testing modes too.
    If you just set something like selinux to enforce without testing first, it wouldn't allow you to boot. Apparmor is a lot more lightweight, so you could get away with no "complain mode" but it'd take longer.
    Basically you just want to get the bulk of the false errors away using complain mode, then tweak it in proper enforced mode.

Beans

If using linux needs this (apparmor) in order to be secure, and apparmor is this difficult to get right, then I'd argue linux isn't secure.

Beans

You don't need apparmor... the average user shouldn't need to touch it. But as it's there, built into Ubuntu, no harm in learning it if you're interested in security.

Things like apparmor, grsec, selinux are mostly for server type systems, but nothing stopping anyone using any of them on a desktop. They're certainly not pointless, but as a normal desktop user shouldn't be doing much, they shouldn't be needed either.

If someone exploits a program, apparmor just limits what they can then access, but security updates usually fix exploits anyway. So the main one basically is just to stay up to date. But even running very out of date software, I doubt the average joe would be at much risk anyway.

Beans

If using linux needs this (apparmor) in order to be secure, and apparmor is this difficult to get right, then I'd argue linux isn't secure.
    What makes you think it is hard to use? One command is all it takes to start enforcing AppArmor.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor start
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo64 View Post
    You don't need apparmor... the average user shouldn't need to touch it. But as it's there, built into Ubuntu, no harm in learning it if you're interested in security.

Things like apparmor, grsec, selinux are mostly for server type systems, but nothing stopping anyone using any of them on a desktop. They're certainly not pointless, but as a normal desktop user shouldn't be doing much, they shouldn't be needed either.

If someone exploits a program, apparmor just limits what they can then access, but security updates usually fix exploits anyway. So the main one basically is just to stay up to date. But even running very out of date software, I doubt the average joe would be at much risk anyway.
    The average Joe probably clicks lot of links while surfing the net. All it takes is one with a bad script to hijack/compromise a system when not using AppArmor.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast