Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working with files on a remote computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Working with files on a remote computer

Hello,

I have two computers at home and I'd like to access the files from one of the computers while I'm working with the other. I think this can be done using Nautilus and in File menu you use Connect to server... but apart from that I have no idea what I should do to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Working with files on a remote computer

Quote Originally Posted by Canaryguy View Post
    Hello,

I have two computers at home and I'd like to access the files from one of the computers while I'm working with the other. I think this can be done using Nautilus and in File menu you use Connect to server... but apart from that I have no idea what I should do to do it.
    on your computer install openssh sever

sudo apt-get install ssh

then in nautilus under connect to server, change type to SSH and put in the IP of the machine you want to connect to. Hit connect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

File->Connect to Server->Type->SSH

First you have to have the package OpenSSH-Server installed on the remote machine.

Then in Nautilus,

File->Connect to Server->Type->SSH

That should do it.

Edit: Fixed type. Anyway collisionystm got the answer first above!
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; December 24th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Beans

Hello,

1. Right click on the folder you want to share; select 'sharing options'
    2. Select 'Share this folder' and fill out the rest of the dialog box entries according to your preferences, then click 'Create Share'
    3. If you have Samba installed, that's it on this machine. If not, it will offer to install Samba for you -- after it installs Samba, you are good on this machine.
    4. To access this folder from the other machine, go to the other machine and open any folder -- in the left panel click 'Browse Network' -- networked computers will appear as icons in the right panel
    5. Click the name of the computer you want to access, and any shared folders on that machine will show up -- click the folder you want to access, and Bob's your uncle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1 View Post
    1. Right click on the folder you want to share; select 'sharing options'
    2. Select 'Share this folder' and fill out the rest of the dialog box entries according to your preferences, then click 'Create Share'
    3. If you have Samba installed, that's it on this machine. If not, it will offer to install Samba for you -- after it installs Samba, you are good on this machine.
    4. To access this folder from the other machine, go to the other machine and open any folder -- in the left panel click 'Browse Network' -- networked computers will appear as icons in the right panel
    5. Click the name of the computer you want to access, and any shared folders on that machine will show up -- click the folder you want to access, and Bob's your uncle.

Ubuntu to ubuntu... use ssh. its faster.

samba was only built to interface with windows. It is not nearly as fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    on your computer install openssh sever

sudo apt-get install ssh

then in nautilus under connect to server, change type to SSH and put in the IP of the machine you want to connect to. Hit connect.
    Thank you very much. I installed openssh on both computers and now I can access the files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you very much. I installed openssh on both computers and now I can access the files.

Cool beans.

If you want to use windows to do the same, install winscp to access ssh servers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It will also be possible to make it accessible from anywhere in the world should the need arise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

My router assigns an IP 192.168.... let's call it X to one computer and assigns Y to the second computer. But sometimes the second computer is assigned X and the first with the Y IP. Is there any way the computer can keep the same IP? Because everytime I want to access remotely to the other computer I have to see which IP it is using to access it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sometimes the routers will let you associate the IP address with a MAC address on your network adapter. Another way might be to increase the lease times so that the lease does not expire so soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast