Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with CentOS?

Beans

Re: Any experience with CentOS?

Quote Originally Posted by eric.proctor View Post
    Yeah, although I was totally wrong. The one thing I can't go without is wireless...so I'll be digging a bit to get it working. Is it too early to say, "I miss you ubuntu"?
    You asking for help or just sayin'?

If the former then a good first step would be to tell us your wireless chipset.

Beans

Red Hat and Centos == Lots of Stable but Outdated Software.

Had CentOS at work and I was upset because not only the software was old compared to Ubuntu, but I also didn't have root access and couldn't install additional things. Other than that, it was rock solid.

As other people said, try both CentOS and Fedora under both standalone and/or VirtualBox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Had CentOS at work and I was upset because not only the software was old compared to Ubuntu...
    Comparable to Ubuntu LTS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    The CentOS Software is older than Ubuntu LTS. Look at distrowatch.com

Currently CentOS comes with Gnome 2.28, while Ubuntu 10.04 comes with 2.30. Some packages are more recent, like Xorg 1.10, and the kernel is the same version for both, but overall CentOS is behind Ubuntu LTS (not to mention that we are 4 months away from the next LTS that would be pretty current).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red Hat and Centos == Lots of Stable but Outdated Software.

Had CentOS at work and I was upset because not only the software was old compared to Ubuntu, but I also didn't have root access and couldn't install additional things. Other than that, it was rock solid.

As other people said, try both CentOS and Fedora under both standalone and/or VirtualBox.

In CentOS, Debian, OpenSuse and other distro's that are not built around the 'sudo' command, the method to obtain root access is quite simple.

Login as root.
    Or from a terminal, su root

If you choose to use sudo

su root
    yum install sudo

add your user account to the sudoers file /etc/sudoers

Keep in mind, you cannot lock the root account like Ubuntu because it is needed to run synaptic in debian, yast in opensuse and synaptic in CentOS.

CentOS 6 has very recent software and it should detect wireless and ethernet just fine. A good rule of thumb with any server is to run Intel hardware because Intel packs their drivers into the linux kernels. They are, in my experience, the providers of the best linux compatible hardware.

Cheers

Beans

The CentOS Software is older than Ubuntu LTS. Look at distrowatch.com

Currently CentOS comes with Gnome 2.28, while Ubuntu 10.04 comes with 2.30. Some packages are more recent, like Xorg 1.10, and the kernel is the same version for both, but overall CentOS is behind Ubuntu LTS (not to mention that we are 4 months away from the next LTS that would be pretty current).
    I don't need to look at distrowatch because I use CentOS every day for work.

Many package versions are shared between CentOS and Ubuntu LTS; some are 0-6 months newer in CentOS and some are 0-6 months newer in Ubuntu LTS.

On a long-term-support distro with 5-7 years' support, 0-6 months is pretty darn close. That is why I said:

and not

Exactly the same as Ubuntu LTS.
    My intention was to give an Ubuntu user who's never used CentOS before a general impression of what to expect. It was not my intention to encapsulate the entirety of distrowatch.com, the distros' own documentation, and the actual experience of using said distros into a single 4-word sentence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    In CentOS, Debian, OpenSuse and other distro's that are not built around the 'sudo' command, the method to obtain root access is quite simple.

Login as root.

su root
    yum install sudo

Keep in mind, you cannot lock the root account like Ubuntu because it is needed to run synaptic in debian, yast in opensuse and synaptic in CentOS.
    Yep. I've been debating on installing sudo, since it would make it easier for me to install stuff/do updates as a normal user, but maybe that's just me being lazy.

I suppose tip #1 would be to have a super strong root password (Isn't that a given?) and to not allow root logins via ssh since you can always su to root or use sudo if you have that set up.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Yep. I've been debating on installing sudo, since it would make it easier for me to install stuff/do updates as a normal user, but maybe that's just me being lazy.

I suppose tip #1 would be to have a super strong root password (Isn't that a given?) and to not allow root logins via ssh since you can always su to root or use sudo if you have that set up.

lol I install sudo.

The good part about ssh is you can easily restrict its access with hosts.allow/deny.

Beans

Login as root.

su root
    yum install sudo

I know that, it is just that I wasn't given root access to the machine in my office. This means no su or sudo or even yum.

CentOS 6 has very recent software and it should detect wireless and ethernet just fine. A good rule of thumb with any server is to run Intel hardware because Intel packs their drivers into the linux kernels. They are, in my experience, the providers of the best linux compatible hardware.

Cheers
    CentOS 6 and Ubuntu LTS will not run with Intel Sandy Bridge graphics. You will need a more recent kernel than 2.6.32. Wireless would probably be fine, but depending on the model that may cause trouble too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

lol I install sudo.

The good part about ssh is you can easily restrict its access with hosts.allow/deny.
    That's true. I usually just set PermitRootLogin to either "no" or "without-password" and set AllowUsers to whoever should have ssh access.

TCPwrappers is a good way to do it too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast