On an eee-pc 1001pxd using the rtl8192se driver on a 3.0.0 kernel (Oneiric), I sometimes have problems making a wifi connection (to a D-Link DI-524). The network manager prompts for a password (which is stored in the user keyring) and tries again to connect. Sometimes this repeats numerous times, and then may finally succeed. But often the connection is made on the first attempt with no fuss. This is all within a few feet of the AP so the signal strength is fine, and another nearby laptop may be showing an interrupted connection. Disabling and reenabling wifi hardware, or rebooting, does not consistently help.

The kernel log shows blocks like this (omitting the hex for the AP address):

wlan0: authenticate with ... (try 1)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with ... (try 1)
wlan0: deauthenticated from ... (Reason: 6)

When the connection finally succeeds:

wlan0: authenticate with ... (try 1)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with ... (try 1)
wlan0: RX AssocResp from ... (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=2)
wlan0: associated

I have seen older posts (from 2.x kernel users) implying that this (reason 6 specifically) is a problem with the driver, and responses saying that using compat-wireless-drivers fixes the issue; indeed on a prior Ubuntu release I found that using the 3.x experimental drivers was necessary to avoid wifi dropouts. But Oneiric is already using the 3.0 kernel; do I need to be using an even newer driver, or setting some configuration option?