Thread: annoying GUI quirks on 12.04?

Beans

annoying GUI quirks on 12.04?

Ever since I upgrade to 12.04 I've been annoyed by a couple of gnome/compiz quirks.. The first is, when I move a window [alt+drag] so half of it is off the current screen, it pops back right there, so it all fits in the window. It's very annoying because things won't stay where I put them unless I leave them within 100% view of the screen.

The other is when I try to move a window over to the next workspace, [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+ARROW] sometimes it works, sometimes I am moved to the next workspace, but my window is back on the previous workspace where it began.

Beans

Re: annoying GUI quirks on 12.04?

I have a similar problem using the Classic Gnome interface, if I leave a window across a workspace boundary, when I unfocus it, if it is on the left it will flick the window to the previous workspace, if on the right it flicks it back to fit into the current workspace. I've tried just about every option I can find to sort this out but can't seem to find the magic recipe. I'd really appreciate some help as it is annoying in the extreme.

Beans

It seems like they fixed it in Ubuntu 12.10, because it's no longer an issue for me [as of whenever they released 12.10].
    have you updated to 12.10 yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm definately having these problems in 12.04. i wasn't planning on upgrading to 12.10 since my last upgrade was so painful I was hopingto stick to the LTSes for now, but compiz is close to unusable in 12.04. I even tried switching to metacity, but it just crashed after a few minutes.

The "windows vanish to other workspaces" thing nearly drove me to violence earlier today -- I wanted to drag a PDF viewer over so that I could have the right side of the page visible while I typed in a web browser, but if either one overlapped te edge of the screen, it would vanish to the adjacent workspace te instant I switched focus. I don't know if it's related, but there seems to be a weird flicker when i use control-alt-shift-arrow to pull a window to the next desktop.

Now for the life of me I can't get evolution to stay on the workspace where I put it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DorianX View Post
    I'm definately having these problems in 12.04. i wasn't planning on upgrading to 12.10 since my last upgrade was so painful I was hopingto stick to the LTSes for now, but compiz is close to unusable in 12.04. I even tried switching to metacity, but it just crashed after a few minutes.

The "windows vanish to other workspaces" thing nearly drove me to violence earlier today -- I wanted to drag a PDF viewer over so that I could have the right side of the page visible while I typed in a web browser, but if either one overlapped te edge of the screen, it would vanish to the adjacent workspace te instant I switched focus. I don't know if it's related, but there seems to be a weird flicker when i use control-alt-shift-arrow to pull a window to the next desktop.

Now for the life of me I can't get evolution to stay on the workspace where I put it.
    Trust me, do a clean install of 12.10. It will more than likely fix the problems. I couldn't believe how well it worked when I installed 12.10, I was so used to having a broken desktop.

If you have separate home partition, it's pretty quick and easy. Backup a list of packages [ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1518468 ] and you're up and running in no time. Your gnome and other settings will be intact in ~/.config and a few other .dot folders.