Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

Unfortunately, this may not be something either of us has time to go through step by step at this hour.

The script fdrake has in his signature will pull out a lot of data in a big dump that may not make any sense to you. I had hoped we would have the time to pick it apart a little bit at a time and discuss what it all meant.

I hope whoever picks this thread up will do that.

Run the script and post the dump.

But if you would, ask whoever helps you to give you some understanding of what you are seeing so you know what to look for the next time you need to do it for yourself. And you might be better able to help the next person. I think it really sucks when someone looks at the report and says "Run this command" and you do -- without ever learning why the other guy knew what to run.

After you post the dump, would you take a look at two of the things that the script makes use of:

Code:
    man fdisk
    Code:
    man blkid
    The script goes in to a lot of other things besides these two and creates a really nicely summarized report. But often the two I listed are often enough to light the bulb and let you see what you need to do.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Okay, my mistake. Late nights can do that to a person. Anyways, here's the correct results.
    And no, I did not install pirated software on my computer.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x97804ced

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048     3074047     1536000   27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda2         3074048   954376191   475651072    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       954376192   976773119    11198464   17  Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    I appreciate the assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x97804ced

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048     3074047     1536000   27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda2         3074048   954376191   475651072    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       954376192   976773119    11198464   17  Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    From this, I can deduce a couple of things.

1. All the partitions on your drive are NTFS or other Windows-native file formats. (See highlighted red. NTFS is the general purpose file system, HPFS is High Performance File System. That my be what Win 7 uses. I'm not anything more than a casual Windows user and then only when necessary. So I haven't kept up.)

2. You do not have a dedicated Linux partition.

3. The first partition of your drive is set as the boot point (see the asterisk and blue)

4. You aren't missing any partitions that may have been wiped out accidentally (see the numbers I highlighted in green).

So I think what you have done is a Wubi install. Do you remember if you were in Windows and had to run some sort of a program in windows while it was running to install Ubuntu?

When you first start your computer, do you (or maybe did you) get something that looks like the image under the heading "How do I select whether to run Windows or Ubuntu?" at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide?

Can you boot into Windows?
    Last edited by QIII; December 23rd, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Yes, I get a screen like that and yes, I can boot Windows with no issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Maybe my post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...46&postcount=7 ) was a bit vague. So I'll repeat it:

With Wubi the most common problem for not booting is a missing root.disk or file corruption. If you review that blog page (or not) it recommends to:
    1. run chkdsk
    2. ensure the root.disk is there
    3. try again

Sometimes a hard reboot will also corrupt the ext4 file system (within the root.disk). But that's a different fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Maybe my post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...46&postcount=7 ) was a bit vague. So I'll repeat it:

With Wubi the most common problem for not booting is a missing root.disk or file corruption. If you review that blog page (or not) it recommends to:
    1. run chkdsk
    2. ensure the root.disk is there
    3. try again

Sometimes a hard reboot will also corrupt the ext4 file system (within the root.disk). But that's a different fix.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm in the process of doing this. I ran chkdsk, which took about 5 hours, so I will try to post result tonight.
    Last edited by hiimcailin; December 24th, 2011 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hiimcailin View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm in the process of doing this. I ran chkdsk, which took about 5 hours, so I will try to post result tonight.
    That seems like a really long time for chkdsk. What sort of messages did it spit out?

Beans

Nothing out of the ordinary, I've done the chkdsk before. The mail reason it took so long is the part where it was just checking the files. It said it was checking 310,000 files, so I image that would take a while.

In regards of finding the "found" file I was extremely unsuccessful. I opened command as admin and entered the commands, but I was continuously getting "Access is denied". I checked the admin profile and made sure the permissions were set properly. I opened god mode and made sure system was set to show all hidden files and give me full access. That was already set up. I went back to command and tried the same codes again with no success, I then tried the same codes with different files and got the same "Access is denied" even when I try to use the location of some picture files instead. So now I feel as if I am really doing something wrong here.

In addition, I had a previous version of my C drive backed up from before I had the issue. I tried to replace just the Ubuntu information from that back up, but I did not have permission to change those files.

Also, hope everyone is having a good Christmas, if that's your thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12