Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

I have been using Ubuntu 11.10 along side Windows 7 for several weeks with only small issues, (rare freeze ups, mouse randomly stops working until reboot) But today everything froze, I waited several minutes with no response from my computer and after I tried everything else I just had to do a hard shut down. After I turned my computer back on and chose Ubuntu I got a the GRUB screen. I typed "boot" and it came back "error not kernel found". The only other thing out of the ordinary that happened with the computer lately is Windows installing some updates, and I had installed Tor on each OS.
    Is there a way I can fix this aside from re-installing Ubuntu?
    I searched through some other forums which said something about going into recovery mode from that screen, but I could not enter any command to get to recovery mode.
    Last edited by hiimcailin; December 23rd, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

Just to clarify, because people often confuse the two:

Did you install Ubuntu "along side" Windows by creating a separate partition for Ubuntu and installing it there, or did you use Wubi to install Ubuntu while you had Windows running?

Beans

I believe it is installed along side Windows. When I turn my computer on I get a message saying it has detected 2 operating systems and I can choose wither W7 or Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Could you please pop the Ubuntu LiveCD in and boot your computer?

When Ubuntu loads (it will take a while in a live session), go to the terminal and type

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (that's an "ell" not a "one") and post back the results?
    Last edited by QIII; December 23rd, 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

to get to rescue mode:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr..._Recovery_Mode

section "Command Line and Rescue Mode".
    if you still have problem or you are confused, check the link in my signature ("Boot Script" and post here the results)
    Last edited by fdrake; December 23rd, 2011 at 05:52 AM.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

I will have to use my work computer to make a cd tomorrow. Will post results then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hiimcailin View Post
    I have been using Ubuntu 11.10 along side Windows 7 for several weeks with only small issues, (rare freeze ups, mouse randomly stops working until reboot) But today everything froze, I waited several minutes with no response from my computer and after I tried everything else I just had to do a hard shut down. After I turned my computer back on and chose Ubuntu I got a the GRUB screen. I typed "boot" and it came back "error not kernel found". The only other thing out of the ordinary that happened with the computer lately is Windows installing some updates, and I had installed Tor on each OS.
    Is there a way I can fix this aside from re-installing Ubuntu?
    I searched through some other forums which said something about going into recovery mode from that screen, but I could not enter any command to get to recovery mode.
    Hard reboots will do that: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.com...-rootdisk.html

Use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B if it hangs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Could you please pop the Ubuntu LiveCD in and boot your computer?

When Ubuntu loads (it will take a while in a live session), go to the terminal and type

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (that's an "ell" not a "one") and post back the results?
    Okay, was able to boot from the disk, it wanted to go through as a new install, but I just ran off the disk. When I entered the "sudo -l" into terminal I got "Matching Defaults entries for ubuntu on this host: env_reset User ubuntu may run the following commands on this host: (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You didn't type the entire command. Try again and see what happens. We are going to go through what the other poster's script would do, but this way we get a chance to stop and discuss so you get a chance to learn something worthwhile for later.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 11.10 suddenly won't boot.

hi frnd

mya bee u uses pirated software or aur ur minght be ur motherboard getting problem if u receive any hardisk errer while ubuntu intalling...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast