Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tag thread "beyond my scope"

Beans

Re: Tag thread "beyond my scope"

I don't rely on my bean count to indicate to anyone that my posts are of quality. I count on the quality, helpfulness, or thought-provoking nature of my posts to stand on their own.

I just think it would be useful to have a way to bury threads (to me) that I enter initially thinking I might be of help, but realize after entering that either I know nothing about, and/or I just plain don't care about (and probably never will).

The threads that I can tell by the thread title or summary I won't be help for (or find useful information in), I won't click into. It is the threads that "tricked" me into clicking into them that I'd like to bury so that I won't accidentally click into them again (again being confused into thinking I'd be interested/useful), possibly because they show the indications that I've viewed the thread before.

Even skipping the "beyond my scope" part, some threads, I just never want to see again, so burying them would be a useful function.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

show the indications that I've viewed the thread before.
    Threads that you have viewed are no longer in bold text, but are dimmed. Perhaps that would help?
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Threads that you have viewed are no longer in bold text, but are dimmed. Perhaps that would help?
    THAT is part of the problem. In that they are differentiated from "you haven't looked at this" threads, they evoke a "what is it about this thread that drew me initally?" reaction. To which the reaction in clicking back into is "Oh, Ya... that. Why can't I bury this thread?"

Beans
    Distro

umm, I guess if reading the title doesn't refresh your memory and marking 'threads read' in the quick links doesn't help--there's nothing more you can do. How much time does it take to realize that you've been there already?
    If it's something I know I can't help with, I read the answers and hope to learn something new. But all I have is time and don't mind wasting it here. I understand why busy people need to make the best use of theirs. I hope you find an answer that works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by killermist View Post
    THAT is part of the problem. In that they are differentiated from "you haven't looked at this" threads, they evoke a "what is it about this thread that drew me initally?" reaction. To which the reaction in clicking back into is "Oh, Ya... that. Why can't I bury this thread?"
    That is not how forums work. I do not believe there is any way to set a thread to be hidden from a specific user.

You can "mark" a thread via GreaseMonkey (if you configured it like that) by adding a tag to the thread, but that is unfair to other users since the tag would be visible to everyone and clutter up the forum.

If it bothers you that much, why do you go into the support areas?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can "mark" a thread via GreaseMonkey (if you configured it like that) by adding a tag to the thread, but that is unfair to other users since the tag would be visible to everyone and clutter up the forum.
    Very likely that they would be all be removed as well. Let's not go there

I'm no super support guru - but what I do know I have learnt from 2 sources - having to fix things I've broken and from reading threads here that appeared to be voodoo the first time around.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Very likely that they would be all be removed as well. Let's not go there
    Indeed. It would just make a mess of things.

I'm no super support guru - but what I do know I have learnt from 2 sources - having to fix things I've broken and from reading threads here that appeared to be voodoo the first time around.
    Same here. I've actually learned quite a bit from browsing the forums.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

If you cant help in a thread, even more reason to follow it and not ignore it that way you will learn something.

Why ignore what you dont know or understand, knowledge is a gift, welcome it everytime you have the opportunity.

And in the future you can help others.

Cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Tag thread "beyond my scope"

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    If you cant help in a thread, even more reason to follow it and not ignore it that way you will learn something.

Why ignore what you dont know or understand, knowledge is a gift, welcome it everytime you have the opportunity.

And in the future you can help others.

Cheers
    Exactly! This goes into my favorite quote of the month list.

Beans

Threads about interoperability with windows, are a primary case pointing to an entire family of threads I care very little (if at all) about, and have NO reason to take an interest in.
    Not all "knowledge" is useful. For me to even accidentally learn the mechanics of how to put on makeup, or theory of dogwalking, or ancient punch-card computer programming would all be a total waste of neurons.

The problem with "Jack of all trades" is "Master of none".

There are some subjects I will never be a master of.
    There are others I don't care to EVER know anything about.
    My life is sufficiently valuable (to me) that spending any part of my off hours studying subjects I don't know or want to know about just for the sake of some other person that may or may not ask a question in a window when I'll see it, is a waste of my time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast