Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Window snapping for OpenBox?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    189
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Exclamation Window snapping for OpenBox?

    I was wondering if there was an application which would let me do window snapping in LUbuntu? It's one of the features which makes me miss Compiz!
    -KVarley
    -Proud member of the Linux Foundation

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Stafford
    Beans
    254
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

    BUMP!

    I'd also like to know how to do this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

    I think you really want to know how to make plugins for OpenBox.

    I have no idea, but I'll ask on the mailing list. *optional* wobbly windows and desktop cube would be cool. For example. Or just snapping windows.
    Last edited by MG&TL; December 22nd, 2011 at 11:28 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I think you really want to know how to make plugins for OpenBox.

    I have no idea, but I'll ask on the mailing list. *optional* wobbly windows and desktop cube would be cool. For example. Or just snapping windows.
    The main reason for people to use OpenBox is because it is ultra fast. One of the reasons why it is so fast is because it doesn't use OpenGL or other fancy graphics. It also doesn't have the capability to be easily extended by plugins. Currently OpenBox doesn't have snap, maybe you can ask the developers if they intend to implement it, but it probably wouldn't be soon.

    Wobbly windows and desktop cube will probably never be implemented in OpenBox. You need OpenGL for that and currently OpenBox supports ZERO desktop effects.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    The main reason for people to use OpenBox is because it is ultra fast. One of the reasons why it is so fast is because it doesn't use OpenGL or other fancy graphics. It also doesn't have the capability to be easily extended by plugins. Currently OpenBox doesn't have snap, maybe you can ask the developers if they intend to implement it, but it probably wouldn't be soon.

    Wobbly windows and desktop cube will probably never be implemented in OpenBox. You need OpenGL for that and currently OpenBox supports ZERO desktop effects.
    Okay. I guess you could say compiz is lightweight without anything turned on.

    Okay, so no plugins.

    Never mind. It was a thought.

    I prefer it light, too, but I thought it would add some interest to have some light effects.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I prefer it light, too, but I thought it would add some interest to have some light effects.
    Metacity and XFWM3 support simple transparency, but only Kwin and Compiz have the OpenGL for cubes and Wobbly. Technically Gnome-shell's mutter has the capabilities, but I don't think they have that plugin yet.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •