Thread: Help installing windows on ubuntu only computer

Beans

Help installing windows on ubuntu only computer

All i have is a usb with windows iso wrote on it with no option to format during install.
    Last edited by nothingspecial; December 20th, 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help installing windows on ubuntu only computer

Question moved out of old thread to a thread of it's own.

@40ftcobb Please provide as much detail as you can so others are better able to help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Doesn't Windows just overwrite Ubuntu?

Question is: are we supporting bootlegged Windows installations on this forum? As I doubt a USB with windows written on it is a legal install.
    LPIC-2 Certified, which doesn't mean I'm a guru.

All advice is given to the best of my knowledge but without any guarantee that it will work (in your case). (And I don't provide support via Private Messages.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartijnNL View Post
    Doesn't Windows just overwrite Ubuntu?

Question is: are we supporting bootlegged Windows installations on this forum? As I doubt a USB with windows written on it is a legal install.
    This is an unfair statement. My windows versions are legal, yet I install from USB. Installing from USB is faster and easier.

Microsoft even provides a utility to make a bootable USB memory stick. So, unless you have proof that his is not legal it is unwise to accuse people.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hellweek View Post
    This is an unfair statement. My windows versions are legal, yet I install from USB. Installing from USB is faster and easier.

Microsoft even provides a utility to make a bootable USB memory stick. So, unless you have proof that his is not legal it is unwise to accuse people.
    Well I'm merely asking a question and expressing my doubts. The way the OP describes it is a bit vague. (It's not the fact that it's an USB stick, but the fact that the OP says: "All i have is a usb with windows iso wrote on it". Doesn't sound like he got himself a legal version and put it on an USB stick. I'm not saying it is pirated, just that it might be. Of course I might be wrong.

I've seen a similar post regarding pirated software by a Staff member in another thread.

All advice is given to the best of my knowledge but without any guarantee that it will work (in your case). (And I don't provide support via Private Messages.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartijnNL View Post
    Well I'm merely asking a question and expressing my doubts. The way the OP describes it is a bit vague. (It's not the fact that it's an USB stick, but the fact that the OP says: "All i have is a usb with windows iso wrote on it". Doesn't sound like he got himself a legal version and put it on an USB stick. I'm not saying it is pirated, just that it might be. Of course I might be wrong.

I've seen a similar post regarding pirated software by a Staff member in another thread.
    I hear what you are saying and perhaps you are correct. I still stand by my post.

Beans

While I agree that mere possession of a USB stick with Windows on it doesn't necessarily indicate anything suspicious, the "no option to format" does.

Sounds like this might be one of the infamous Win7Lite versions -- which are NOT legitimate Windows installs.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Microsoft can assist with your Windows install.

Once that step is done, here's where the Ubuntu-specific part comes in: You'll need to reinstall the GRUB bootloader as described in detail here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Microsoft can assist with your Windows install.

Once that step is done, here's where the Ubuntu-specific part comes in: You'll need to reinstall the GRUB bootloader as described in detail here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    I'm not sure he wants to keep Ubuntu as well.