Until just recently, I've been able to see my Windows 7 stuff just fine. However, since the "Oneiric Ocelot (11.10) is now a thing! Wanna update?" boxes stopped showing up, I haven't been able to see C:\drivename or its contents from inside my Ubuntu's operating account. I recently expanded my C: drive (the Windows 7 partition), after moving my Ubuntu partition to be closer to the other end of the free space, but after shifting the Ubuntu partition I was still able to see and see into the Windows partition just fine. I'm not sure if I was able to see into the drive from my Ubuntu partition after expanding the Windows partition, but I was able to see into it just fine from either my Ubuntu OS or the temporary Ubuntu account that opens whenever I run from the install disc , so either way I don't think that's the problem.

I didn't upgrade to 11.10, and I didn't think I accidentally upgraded from what I was used to using to 11.04 (I'm pretty sure that's the version I manually installed in the first place), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with accidentally "upgrading" something, or with the minor Ubuntu and application mass updates that strongly imply they're automatic. Would upgrading to 11.10 probably fix my sudden inability to see my Windows drive and its contents from Ubuntu?

Is there an application that addresses this specific problem, the way there are some Windows programs that can see into the Ubuntu partitions and extract/copy files into Windows?

Additionally: Yes, yes, I know Windows gets viruses, yadda yada. I have reasons to use it and Ubuntu side-by-side for different things, so please don't say "just switch to Linux full time!" If and when you say that and ignore the original question, it just makes other GNU/Linux users look bad and doesn't help anything.