Thread: Low-latency serial access via Bash (?)

Beans

Low-latency serial access via Bash (?)

I need to control a non-RS232 compliant device via the serial port on a Ubuntu box. If I can overcome the command latency of bash scripts, I prefer that scripting solution. I'm not adept at other scripting tools or C programming. I am willing to control the flow control pins for this task, so I have identified the stty -F /dev/ttyS0 hup (and -hup) commands to control DTR. However, I need to change pin state in less than 500 microseconds. There appears to be about 16 milliseconds latency (with large variations) in executing the stty in command files. Is there a faster, less time-variable way to control these pins from a bash script?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Low-latency serial access via Bash (?)

You're not going to be able to do this with a bash script. When you say "non-RS232 compliant," does that mean the device can not be controlled with RTS/CTS?

What are you trying to do? What device? Perhaps a program already exists which will do what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have these timing constraints, you are not even in the application realm but in the kernel/device driver one, so forget it.

I would be using an Arduino card to handle this kind of time-constrained logic, with possibly some higher level logic in Linux. And since the Arduino connects over a USB this alleviates the need for a serial connector that is getting very rare on recent computers.. It is programmed in a C-like language. My son used on in a high-school science project, without any former programming experience.
    Last edited by ofnuts; March 5th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1 for ofnuts solution. is this a commercial device or something created by electrical engineering students?
    if possible I would consider doing whatever is possible to create a standard connection.

you could integrate c functions into your bash script, in which case you could try starting a serial stream rather than trying to make and break the connection numerous times.
    the read write commands probably respond the fastest. i think there is a latency flag you can try setting.

Also, try increasing your baud rate.
    ~Conradin~

Beans

Thanks for the responses. I get the impression that I am asking too much of scripting. The project is partly a learning experience on low-level hardware access and partly an attempt to transmit IR commands to commercial devices. I have a no-name piece of hardware that provides IR 38khZ carrier signalling but needs pulse-code modulation for the IR messaging. There is a collection of software broadly called "LIRC" that appears to deliver this function. I will investigate. The only downside to LIRC is that, being prepackaged, it is more difficult for me to learn how to deliver the low-level hardware control. If anyone can point me to tutorials along this line, please comment.