Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Analog Channel Scans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Analog Channel Scans

I have a backend loaded with Mythbuntu 11.04 (cannot get 11.10 to boot)with 3 PVR-150's and a pcHDTV HD-5500. I have attempted to scan for channels on the PVR-150's, but I have not gotten any channel locks. It just flies through all the channels without giving any errors. I have found some information that seems to indicate that analog channel scanner function in MythTV is broken, and has been since version 0.21. I checked the bug reports and found one for the analog channel scanner, and it was unclear whether it was fixed, or just closed. Seems as there was little concern about it getting fixed. I am guessing this was the case since we were all supposed to be digital starting back in 2008. Well, my local cable provider is still broadcasting 54 channels in analog, and only 5 are available as unencrypted digital. I even contacted them and asked them if they were planning to switch over to all digital, and their reply was that they were leaving things as-is for the foreseeable future, due to the equipment investment they currently have in their infrastructure.

Is there any plans to fix the analog channel scanner? If not, are the clear instructions that I can find on how to setup the analog channels without being able to scan them into my setup?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to shed some light on this issue.

Beans

Re: Analog Channel Scans

Quote Originally Posted by jlp_engineer View Post
    I have a backend loaded with Mythbuntu 11.04 (cannot get 11.10 to boot)with 3 PVR-150's and a pcHDTV HD-5500. I have attempted to scan for channels on the PVR-150's, but I have not gotten any channel locks. It just flies through all the channels without giving any errors. I have found some information that seems to indicate that analog channel scanner function in MythTV is broken, and has been since version 0.21. I checked the bug reports and found one for the analog channel scanner, and it was unclear whether it was fixed, or just closed. Seems as there was little concern about it getting fixed. I am guessing this was the case since we were all supposed to be digital starting back in 2008. Well, my local cable provider is still broadcasting 54 channels in analog, and only 5 are available as unencrypted digital. I even contacted them and asked them if they were planning to switch over to all digital, and their reply was that they were leaving things as-is for the foreseeable future, due to the equipment investment they currently have in their infrastructure.

Is there any plans to fix the analog channel scanner? If not, are the clear instructions that I can find on how to setup the analog channels without being able to scan them into my setup?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to shed some light on this issue.
    Update to latest 0.24-fixes via mythbuntu-repos and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have found some information that seems to indicate that analog channel scanner function in MythTV is broken, and has been since version 0.21

I have a PVR 150 in Myth .23, channel scanner works great. How do you have your PVR-150 cards set up in the backend?
    Last edited by Senkoboy; December 19th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure the PVR-150 cards are set up as IVTV MPEG-2 encoders in the back end under card type.

Beans

It's been a couple of years since I used a 150, but that sounds pretty much like how it used to scan: flies through with no locks and no errors. But what do you have leftover in the Channel Editor under your analog Video Source? If you have something like "UNNAMED:CHANNEL 2" though "UNNAMED:CHANNEL 99" then from your PVR 150's perspective, the scan was a success. If you've got them, these "unnamed channels" are tuned to the correct analog frequencies for their channel numbers. What you then do is (for your 45 live analog channels) is edit in each channel's name, call sign, and xmltv-id number (for Schedules Direct information). Leftover "unnamed" channels are deleted.

You can edit in the extra information for each good channel in Channel Editor and delete the leftover channels. Or, you can bring up each channel in Live TV, and the "e" key brings up the on-screen edit menu. From here, the name, callsign, and xmltv id can be typed in. Then move on to the next channel in Live TV. Later, leftover "unnamed" stations are deleted en masse in Channel Editor.

If no "unnamed" channels are to be found in Channel Editor for your analog Video Source, individual analog channels may easily be added in the Channel Editor with no scan whatever. Use "Add Channel". Fill in it's channel number, a unique callsign, a name, and the channel's xmltvid number (for Schedules Direct) in page 1 of the form. Along about p. 3, where it asks for "frequency or channel", you put in the channel number (again). And that's about it.

You may have trouble with analog channel 5 and 6 --I always did, because RF interference from my power supplies always wiped out those particular frequencies. So I hope the stations on analog channels 5 and 6 are also available in digital.

Beans

Well i would have assumed it is obvious that an analogue channel has no in stream information on channel names.

Digital of course does have this information, it is part of the DVB standard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Senkoboy,

I have the PVR-150's set as:

Card type: IVTV MPEG-2 encoder Card

Video Device: /dev/video0

Probed Info: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 [ivtv]

Default Input: Tuner 1

Channels still scan through in about 5 seconds. This process used to take at least a few minutes when I was running Mythbuntu 8.04.

Beans

Now for the really obvious question, which I seem to have to ask in every damned thread:

What do your logs say?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Well i would have assumed it is obvious that an analogue channel has no in stream information on channel names.

Digital of course does have this information, it is part of the DVB standard.
    True, but so what? The point here is that, unlike DVB, analog doesn't require scanning for Mythtv. If the OP can't get analog scanning to work in his backend setup for the PVR 150, it doesn't matter. He can set it up anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    True, but so what? The point here is that, unlike DVB, analog doesn't require scanning for Mythtv. If the OP can't get analog scanning to work in his backend setup for the PVR 150, it doesn't matter. He can set it up anyway.
    Sorry I was agreeing with you. Just trying to say that what you are saying is logical and pretty obvious when you think about it.

Of course US and Canadian subscribers have Schedules Direct to match channel numbers to actual broadcasters, simplifying the whole caboodle.

Anyway, sounds like OP is not getting any results at all, given the speed his scan is going through at.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast