Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with wireless usb dongle

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help with wireless usb dongle

Everything looks good. How are you trying to connect to the net through Ubuntu? I assume the neighbors doesn't have any encryption. If yes, I'd take your wifi off encryption and try to connect without just to see if it works. Anyhow, I guess you'll try when you get back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

any chance you have MAC address filtering turned on on your router? Does it log connection attempts?

Beans

Sorry for not being able to get back on this forum for a few days. I managed to solve the problem this afternoon.

I tried my Dell 1450 usb wireless dongle on my XP machine and it worked.
    I took out the usb card out of my Ubuntu pc and installed it into my XP machine, plugged in the dongle and it didn't work.
    I bought a new usb card today, installed it and "woohoo", I'm now on the internet.

I'd like to thank all the posters on this thread for your time and effort. I hope you all have a happy Christmas and all that.

Cheers.

ps. The next question will be along the lines of.....why is the pc running so slow and video stepping like crazy, but I'll wait until I'm totally sober for that question. Hick!!

Beans

Hi again. I killed Ubuntu 10.04 due to it using 97% of the CPU for most things (even the process monitor). Video was unwatchable due to stuttering and everything else would take ages to do anything. A 1.5Gb Pentium 4 CPU and 1Gb of memory shouldn't be slow!!

So, I've now installed Ubuntu 11.10 and guess what? No wireless connection again.

I have tried double clicking linux-firmware-nonfree_1.8_all.deb file (after going into properties and ticking the "Allow executing file as program" but it keeps opening with Ubuntu Software Centre and the install button is greyed out.

Can anybody help please as I am loosing faith with Ubuntu. I don't understand why it has to be so complicated yet doesn't work very well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Save the file to "Downloads" and install it from terminal:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/*.deb

Beans

Thank you praseodym. That did the job and I'm now online again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123