Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unable to remove folders from places pane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: unable to remove folders from places pane

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    It's not a question of permissions or anything like that. Some entries of that panel show and hide automatically (devices, network locatons etc.), some of them are hard-coded into Nautilus (showing Desktop, user home, filesystem, Pictures, Videos etc. directories if they exist) and only some are actually editable (bookmarks).

In other words, you can only remove the bookmarks you have actually added to the side panel. The rest is built into the file manager. (if you really want to get rid of the "Pictures" entry, for example ,you'd have to remove the Pictures directory itself).

Anyway, if you just want your content to go to some other partition you just need to take a different approach. Depending on what filesystem you are using on that partition you can either create a simple symbolic link from a directory on that partition to your home. Or you can use the "bind" option in fstab to mount a certain directory into another place.
    Hi i'm not a newbie but the same thing happened to me a folder ended up in places which never should have been there in the first place and was never authorised by myself for a move. I'm wondering if it is a security issue as well.
    Think i went too far and deleted nautilus and then reinstalled it to find my log-in square blanked out for some reason-- i'm writing from a windows backward machine.
    I'm wondering if many other people are having this problem? -- i'm using Maverick 10.10 on a 86-64 laptop.

Someone recommended to me resetting using commands concerning 'config' in the terminal but you may have to ask someone else for the exact commands good luck.

Beans

Just to report in:

I've made symbolic links instead of the folders, so now the places pane points to these symbolic links which point to my storage partition, I'm not frustrated by the fact that some of the places will never be clicked, but it sure would be cool to be able to ultimately customize this

Thanks mcduck for the symlink suggestion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mat11 View Post
    Hi i'm not a newbie but the same thing happened to me a folder ended up in places which never should have been there in the first place and was never authorised by myself for a move. I'm wondering if it is a security issue as well.
    Think i went too far and deleted nautilus and then reinstalled it to find my log-in square blanked out for some reason-- i'm writing from a windows backward machine.
    I'm wondering if many other people are having this problem? -- i'm using Maverick 10.10 on a 86-64 laptop.

Someone recommended to me resetting using commands concerning 'config' in the terminal but you may have to ask someone else for the exact commands good luck.
    Sounds like you just accidentally bookmarked something (as it's pretty much the only way you possibly can add anything to the Nautilus sidepanel). Uninstalling Nautilus wouldn't have helped anything, as unistalling applciations doesn't touch any of the user's own configuration files. On the othe rhand Nautilus is pretty important component of the Gnome desktop, responsible of much more than just the file amanger window. Uninstalling it most likely removed quite many other packages as well. Try reinstaling the "ubuntu-desktop" package, that should make sure everything important is installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can edit them with ubuntu-tweak

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

See http://askubuntu.com/questions/87232...-appears-again for details.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

you are most welcome =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12