Thread: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Hello, I have Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 Professional dual-booted on my system (I'm currently posting from Windows). The problem I am having is that neither of my LAN/Ethernet ports are communicating while in Ubuntu, however the connections manager recognizes eth0 and/or eth1 as viable connections options (though it claims an Ethernet cable is not connected...) I assumed the issues were related to a lack of drivers/modules to make the ports work as intended, but after installing the modules in Realtek's repository the ports still do not communicate.

I have dabbled with the terminal, and I understand basic commands and how to execute them.

My system has a Gigabyte Technologies motherboard, model number EP45T-UD3R revision 1.0. The LAN/Ethernet ports are listed in Windows Device Manager as "Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC" and this board has two (identical) LAN ports. I'm not sure if you need any more technical information about my hardware, but if you do I have all of the components in my system on Overclock.net here (the hardware list is near the bottom of the page).

link --> Azothyran's rig on Overclock.net

I HAVE tried NDISwrapper, I extracted the proper INF and SYS files from the sfxexe that Gigabyte provided, installed NDISwrapper using Terminal from the Ubuntu install USB stick I made, and told NDISwrapper to install and load the INF, but that didn't seem to make a difference to the connection manager (maybe I'm missing something?) but the wrapper did not spit out any errors. However, I have a sinking feeling NDISwrapper might only look for wlan, which won't do me a damn bit of good since they're ethernet ports (correct me if I'm wrong).

If anyone can assist me in this endeavor I would greatly appreciate it. If we can't figure out how to get Ubuntu to use my Realtek Ethernet ports, I wouldn't mind someone suggesting a cheap PCI LAN/Ethernet card to stuff in my system (I would prefer PCI over PCI-e, but either way) that has FULL compatibility with both Windows and Ubuntu.

Beans

Cool Re: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Nobody has an idea or suggestions to help me with this issue? Not even a snotty 'search Google' comment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Hi,

please show the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) outputs of the commands:

Code:
    uname -a
    lspci -nnk
    lsmod
    ifconfig -a
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    You can c/p the outputs to a .txt file and upload it.

Beans

Terminal Commands

I uploaded the results of those terminal commands as you requested. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Terminal Commands

The interface name is called "eth1" instead of "eth0", and there is only one card shown:

Code:
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard [1458:e000]
    	Kernel driver in use: r8168
    	Kernel modules: r8168
    Please show:
    Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    after removing the wired profile in the networkmanager and rebooting.

Beans

Re: Terminal Commands

After removing the profile in NetworkManager, rebooting, and inputting the command, I get:

Code:
    # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)

SUBSYSTEM=="net",
    ACTION=="add",
    DRIVERS=="?*",
    ATTR{address}=="00:1f:d0:8f:9c:ca",
    ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
    ATTR{type}=="1",
    KERNEL=="eth*",
    NAME="eth0"
    I'm not positive, but shouldn't there be something listed under the Device ID attribute?
    Last edited by Azothyran; December 20th, 2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Clarification