Thread: 3D/OpenGL with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

3D/OpenGL with Ubuntu

Hello everyone,

I just installed the Billard-GL game on my Acer TravelMate 5510 series running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx. Although this game seems to use relatively unsophisticated 3D, the image is not fluid, and the System Monitor indicates my two CPUs are at 100% of their capabilities when I run the game. It all seems that the whole 3D thing is computed by the CPUs instead of the video card. When I installed Ubuntu on this laptop, I did a standard default install, with nothing specific about the graphical config, nor did I install particular (and proprietary) drivers for the video card.

I would like to know :

1 - If according to you my diagnosis is right.

2 - If there are any configuration I could make to fix this.

Thanks you in advance.

Long life to Ubuntu

PS : by the way my video card is an ATI Radeon
    Last edited by le_phoceen; December 18th, 2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: adding info about hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: 3D/OpenGL with Ubuntu

By the way I have more generic questions :

How to know if 3D graphics are handled by the GPU or by the CPU ? Is it always the case ?

Some years ago I was doing some simple OpenGL tutorials and I was asked if my GPU was doing the 3D on the screen instead of my CPU. Until then I never thought it was possible that the GPU did not do the 3D I saw on the screen. Is this question still relevant today ?