Thread: Frustrated and Sad

Beans

Frustrated and Sad

First I have been a Ubuntu user since 6, so I LOVE Ubuntu but 11.10 has left me baffled and sad. I have MacBook 3.1, which I triple boot with Snow Leopard, Win 7, and Ubuntu. Everything was working splendidly under 10.04 (and yes I could go back but I want to keep moving forward!). I have three main problems I can not seem to solve in 11.10, if you have tips or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it very much. Either I don;t know what I am searching for or no one is finding answers. If it matters I did a new install to 11.10.

1) I use an external monitor (not mirrored) - when I leave the system for a few minutes and it goes to sleep, only the external monitor wakes up not the MacBook. Of course this means I have no access to the Unity sidebar, I have to restart to get it back working with both monitors. Monitors work adn behave normally after sleep in Mac and Win boots

2) My external harddrives are now all read only and no matter what I try remain that way. Drives work fine in Mac and Win boots

3) Bluetooth wireless Mac Keyboard does not connect after restart (mouse is always found and connects easily)...again these work fine in Mac and Win boots.

What have I done wrong? If nothing why would Canonical want to make life more difficult in these newer versions? Any help is very much appreciated, it would break my heart to walk away after all this time.

Beans

Re: Frustrated and Sad

bump mcbumpity bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Frustrated and Sad

Most of the time there are problems during the first months of a new version of an operating system (Ubuntu is no exception). The simple solution is to stay with the long time support version (10.04 LTS) until the new LTS version has been around for at least 3 months. This means July 2012.

But you want to taste some new features of the kernel as well as of the application software. So I suggest that you try 11.04, any or several of the flavours [KLX]ubuntu. Download several iso files and boot live sessions from CD or USB drives to test which one co-operates the best with your hardware and feels best for you!

Good luck and post back your results for further help or discussion