Thread: problem with downloading repository information

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy problem with downloading repository information

I'm having a problem updating my system. Every time I try it comes out with:
    "Failed to download repository information. Check your Internet connection."
    I am connected to the internet I can browse the web perfectly fine.

The description in the error message is thus:
    W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)/dists/maverick/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)/dists/maverick/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

im at a loss what to do any help would be appreciated. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: problem with downloading repository information

It complains about a cdrom. Is that cdrom in the machine? If not I would disable that repository.

Beans
    Hidden!

Goto the Update Manager then Ubuntu Software tab then remove the check next to the Cdrom.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Unhappy Re: problem with downloading repository information

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    It complains about a cdrom. Is that cdrom in the machine? If not I would disable that repository.
    so how would I do that? Iv gone into system settings > software sources and I don't see any tab or check box or anything to do with cdrom

oh and there is no cd in the drive and I have never used a cd to update other than when I installed my os
    Last edited by smilescraz; December 17th, 2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Somewhat similar problem to this, when i press check button on update manager, "Failed to download repository information. Check your Internet connection."
    I am connected to the internet I can browse the web perfectly fine.

And I get following message.

W:Failed to fetch
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/webcontentc...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/webcontentc...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

-----------

Please help to restore update manager to normal.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bashishtha View Post

W:Failed to fetch
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/webcontentc...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/webcontentc...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Ubuntu 11.10 does not have a PPA for webcontentcontrol at launchpad. Remove the PPA from the sources list.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; December 17th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Angry Re: problem with downloading repository information

i still am having this problem with updating. my system still updates and collects updates but i get this stupid error message every time i update... dos anyone know how to get rid of it?
    error message:
    Failed to download repository information

Check your Internet connection.

details:
    W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)/dists/maverick/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)/dists/maverick/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs