Thread: Should apparmor-profile be reloaded if firefox is updated?

Beans

Should apparmor-profile be reloaded if firefox is updated?

My main question here is whether I will have to disable existing enforced apparmor-profile for firefox when I update to a recent version of firefox, or will the current profile keep working for the updated version? Also should I reinstall no-script and adblock-plus after updating firefox?

A related doubt is this; please tell me if I have done anything wrong here: Just after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS-2, even before I set the network connection, I opened firefox (obviously browsing was not possible) and loaded apparmor profile for firefox in enforce mode. When network connection was established, I was prompted for security updates which I did and this contained a newer apparmor profile for firefox. I assume this updated profile got active by the update manager itself by replacing the older profile. Is that correct or will I have to set this new profile in enforce mode myself?
    Last edited by newhere_m; December 16th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should apparmor-profile be reloaded if firefox is updated?

Not sure about the Apparmor bit, but the Firefox extensions and their settings will be carried over when the version is upgraded, provided that they are compatible. Compatibility will be tested automatically the first time you run the new version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

After I run upgrades in a terminal, the apparmor profiles get reloaded. I believe that would mean you do not have to manually reload the profiles.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    After I run upgrades in a terminal, the apparmor profiles get reloaded. I believe that would mean you do not have to manually reload the profiles.
    This is correct. As part of the postinst script for Firefox, it reloads apparmor.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM