Thread: CRON failure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

CRON failure

I setup Simple Backup today, and scheduled it to do backups every hour, something I've done successfully for a few years now.

But I could see it wasn't running.

I've dug into the logs for CRON and I see this

Code:
    Dec 16 15:17:01 Penny CRON[20915]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Dec 16 15:17:02 Penny CRON[20914]: (CRON) error (grandchild #20915 failed with exit status 1)
    Dec 16 15:17:02 Penny CRON[20914]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
    Can someone explain to me what that means? And where next I should look for the problem?

Beans

Re: CRON failure

Can you run the backup script (from with /etc/cron.hourly) from a terminal, and see what the output is? It's throwing an error (that's the exit status 1) which isn't being logged for some reason.

If you run it from a terminal, you should be able to see why it's failing. (You may need to run it using sudo.)

Steve.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: CRON failure

Yeah have done some more digging, I tracked down sbackup's own logs and found it reports two problems

1) It can't talk to DBus
    2) It can't mount a volume it seems it wants

At the moment I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it can't mount the volume because it can't talk to DBus.

Why it can't talk to DBus I don't know, I'm asking about that here.