Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac os 10.5.8 ppc

Beans

Re: Mac os 10.5.8 ppc

I am on the run to an appointment, so this will be brief.

I had Ubuntu running some time back, and it worked and looked great. I found it enjoyable. I went back to os 10, as I needed to do some involved graphics, and don't like how Gimp is set up. it is not as well organized in its menus as Photoshop. Photoshop, is still the best of that world. I am thinking of doing a partition dedicated purely for video and graphics, alongside a Linux. Also, i found a word processing app, that is very close to MS Word in it's function. That is a good thing. If we can get this together, it does breath new life into our older Mac architecture.

My issue is the install, not the program(s).

I am in CA, where are you? Perhaps we can put our heads together on this. Also, I've researched a number of others which look good, and have a distro not of Ubuntu, which is great. I found a Linux os, that you can put on a flash drive. it holds ALL of your active documents, the programs to run them, and the OS itself. You can be on the road, and plug it into any computer, and have your own fully functioning familiar workstation, with your own programs, anywhere you travel.

PM me...

Z

Beans

Sorry can't help with install. Im a nubee to Linux. My interest in Linux is that osx 10.4 is becoming increasingly obsolete. I installed MacPorts and Porticus to take advantage of open source software and found that most of the packages require more current operating systems than 10.4. Tried to install Dragon Nat Speaking and found it is only supported on snow leopard or later. Too bad, the Imac is a nice machine. Buying a new one is too much like throwing in the towel.

I am finding quite a few bugs with 10.10 and same with 11.10 when I attempted to install it. Someone apparently moved the repositories that have many of the drivers for ppc64 architecture. I went to the repository and found a different directory structure to the ppc64 libraries than listed on the install disk, but I don't know how to use that info to fix my system. Let you know if I find something useful.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Without wishing to sound arrogant I doubt that the above is true.

Out of curiosity what is the output of the commands
    Code:
    lsmod
    lspci -k
    please?

Btw, I suspect you have an airport extreme card, not an airport classic. If that is the case then you need to download the firmware. It cannot be included in Ubuntu for copyright reasons i assume, so not really a bug. How to do download it is well documented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12