Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac os 10.5.8 ppc

Beans

Mac os 10.5.8 ppc, install & Boot issues.

I have a MAC Dual Mirrored Door G4, 1.25 GHz, PPC OS 10.5.8 with four hd's.

I have one dedicated drive for Ubuntu. When I first looked into Ubuntu, I was interested because it would breath new life into my non intel ppc.

I downloaded the disk image with the installer to a hard drive, then burned it to a cd. I then tried to boot from the cd, and install, it did not. I then attempted to use disk utility to install it from one of the other hd's. It did not. I booted the CD, and it installed. ...(?).

(When looking over Ubuntu, It seemed to recommended to use an older version for the ppc. This conflicts with other literature I subsequently found).

it worked great!

But I had a couple of big jobs, and I needed photoshop, and video editing, so I used os 10.5.8. The ONLY change I did, was add a forth hd, to use as my main boot drive. I had to install a fresh OS 10.5.8. No issues, and it had nothing to do with Ubuntu.

This week I went back to ubuntu, and found I have to upgrade to a newer version. 11.10. I can find NOTHI(NG about it working with ppc architecture . It only mentions 'intel, ' but nothing specific.

The CD I burned will NOT boot... I suppose I can try to install it from disk utility, but do I need an installer, and if so, how do I do it.

I am a solid user, but I am not a tech guy, I am new to the linux side of things. I need help to get this mounted and in use.

Thanks in advance.

Z
    Last edited by Zenonii; December 16th, 2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: I did not title it fully.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Beans

Re: Mac os 10.5.8 ppc

Thank you for the links. I'm sure they will help, but how do I tell if my ppc is 64 or 32 bit?

Z

Beans

This is in the instructions. G4s are 32bit. I didn't really follow your orginal post. If you haven't overwritten your existing ubuntu installation then it is possible to still boot into it.
    Last edited by rsavage; December 16th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Beans

My original post is the order of events.

I just burned two new cd's, the mini iso, and the Ubuntu 11.10 desktop.

Neither are booting.

Beans

Where did you get the desktop cd from? If it's the one from the main ubuntu site then it is not for powerpc. The same for the mini cd - you need to choose the 32bit powerpc version.

Beans

I am stumped... I downloaded the 32 bit version, I downloaded the 'universal' installer, NEtbootin.

Netbootin has a 'line through circle' icon on the download. I tried it four times. It is supposed to work. It says unsupported architecture, or there is not application to open it.

I have about run out of ideas. I'm thinking there is some kind of firmware command that is saying to not recognize whatever I"m doing. I went to a terminal, and followed the commands to the letter. When I put in a command to allow it to open and install, it said 'operation not permitted."

This is killing my time. I 've spent hours a day trying to figure this out.

Beans

Netbootin is not for powerpc.

I don't understand why you are having problems. I gave you the link to the powerpc downloads.

That page has a link to instructions to install. If you want to transfer a CD to a USB device there are instructions to do that there. I added more information about USB yesterday to make it even easier.

Beans

Savage,

I appreciate your help, but I also am not in the mood to be condescended to. Whether you know it or not, you come off to me with a degree of arrogance. I've spent at least 60 hours trying to figure this out, and attitude is not welcome.

For whomever may be following this: I reset nvram, and the the cd booted instantly. This began another slew of problems. It said it downloaded all files, but then asked for a mirror location. I put in a location, then it asked for a mirror host name... I searched, and found no breakdown of host name, so it said the entry was not valid. I went to the default, in the UK, and then it said not valid host name, error message. I went back to install and it said it could not find any disk, but it wanted to partition. ... .. ... one loop after another. But no install.

Another sleepless night. Anyone who wants to help, send an idea, but airs of superiority, I don't need.
    Last edited by Zenonii; December 18th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

Beans

I have an imac ppc g5 (1.8G, single-core 64 bit processor). I had the same problems trying to boot and install 11.10, and ended up downloading merekat 10.10 for 64-bit Mac PPC. Burned to DVD (too big for cd) and it loaded "live" fine. When I did the install, I got a working system, but no driver for my classic airport-g wifi. I also noticed 3 FATAL Errors during the boot up sequence. It was looking for other PPC-64 drivers that it couldn't find them. Looks like they have to do with internal temperature and fan control, so my fan is running very fast continuously. This is very annoying. I am sure there is an easy fix but I am a total newby to Linux so I have no idea where to find drivers nor what to do with them if I found them. I only know a few terminal commands. I opened the "Additional Drivers" app thinking this was my solution. Just got an error message and the app would't open. I like Linux but am close to scrapping because of these issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast