Thread: Intermittent Mouse Jerk

Beans

Intermittent Mouse Jerk

Hi,

It's not exactly a show-stopper, but you'd be surprised how irritating this issue is!

Every 15 seconds or so, my mouse cursor will freeze for less than half a second, then continue on as normal. Sod's law, it always happens when I'm about to click a link or something, and it infuriates me!

There seems to be no pattern I can see at all. I'd been away from Ubuntu for a while and decided to come back to try the upgrade to 11.04 so I can't quite tell if it was the upgrade that caused it. I tried a completely fresh re-install as I'd been screwing around with a load of things and wanted to rule it out. But it still happens in a fresh install. I've tried the ATi drivers for my card but they don't make a difference, and just cause other issues.

My mouse is a Logitech MX510, pretty old but isn't wireless. This doesn't happen at all in other operating systems.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any way I can find out what is happening during this half-second pause somehow?

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Intermittent Mouse Jerk

Have you tried other mice?
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans

Yeah I just tried my spare -- same problem.

It's easy to test if it's fixed 'cause I just need to spin the cursor in little circles for a few seconds and you can see a distinct halt in the motion.

Beans

Any further suggestions on how I could narrow this one down? I'm completely out of ideas... is it some sort of hardware interrupt gone wrong?

Beans

AHA!! It seems to do it more if the computer is busier. I currently have loooooads of applications running, including FF and Chrome with many many tabs. And it is now doing it every 5-10 seconds. Is this a clue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

How much RAM do you have installed?
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans

2GB, and the processor is a Core 2 Duo E8400

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you gave the reason: "many many tabs"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you gave the reason: "many many tabs"
    It still does it with absolutely no applications open, enough to be irritating -- just to a lesser extent