Thread: What did I do to alsa? no sound in 11.10

Beans

What did I do to alsa? no sound in 11.10

hi!

i started running ubuntu 11.10 this morning. i love it so far, except that i cant get the sound to work.

i've looked around for a solution, but alsa doesnt seem to recognize my sound card.

when i run lspci, it comes up like this:

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

i've uninstalled and reinstalled alsa a zillion times today, and now i can't get to the mixer, play the "Front Center" sound, nothing.

i'm a total newbie with no idea where to get drivers, which ones are correct, and i'm starting to freak out, haha. has anyone else had this problem (or at least could help figure out a solution)?

update: i fixed it! after reading http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668737 this i reinstalled, and immediately the sound worked. i think it had something to do with the onboard sound being disabled in the bios when i installed the first time.
    Last edited by Achillean; December 16th, 2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: fixed!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What did I do to alsa? no sound in 11.10

Good that you found a solution.

Please mark this thread 'solved' and edit your other post on the same topic.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.