Thread: [11.10] Desktop Ubuntu Hibernates itself after Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[11.10] Desktop Ubuntu Hibernates itself after Update

hello folks,

I am having a desktop (no laptop or such, a bigtower) with Ubuntu 11.10 and after an update a few days ago my computer started to hibernates itself out of the blue every 5-60 Minutes. The screen went black and the cumpoter turns off. When pressing the power-button it sometimes comes back to life directly (with a short time of high load) and sometimes it bootes completly from scratch (i think when hibernating fails).

The curious thing is that a few minutes before the auto-hibernation it sometimes enters really fast the keys "ba--" and then [right], [down], [left], setting the curser in the middle of the two '-'. Like when i am chatting with someone i am seeing that in the text-field of in the console or whereever my focus is on. I then saves my work and mostly a few minutes later the hibernation starts.

Is anyone having the same mysterious bahaviour on his/her machine? Can someone tell me how to stop it?

Thanks,
    Gerrit Addiks

Beans

Re: [11.10] Desktop Ubuntu Hibernates itself after Update

Quote Originally Posted by gu4rdi4n View Post
    hello folks,

I am having a desktop (no laptop or such, a bigtower) with Ubuntu 11.10 and after an update a few days ago my computer started to hibernates itself out of the blue every 5-60 Minutes. The screen went black and the cumpoter turns off. When pressing the power-button it sometimes comes back to life directly (with a short time of high load) and sometimes it bootes completly from scratch (i think when hibernating fails).

The curious thing is that a few minutes before the auto-hibernation it sometimes enters really fast the keys "ba--" and then [right], [down], [left], setting the curser in the middle of the two '-'. Like when i am chatting with someone i am seeing that in the text-field of in the console or whereever my focus is on. I then saves my work and mostly a few minutes later the hibernation starts.

Is anyone having the same mysterious bahaviour on his/her machine? Can someone tell me how to stop it?

Thanks,
    Gerrit Addiks
    I have the same problem. No idea what to do but it's a pain.

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: [11.10] Desktop Ubuntu Hibernates itself after Update

Did you try using the previous kernel in Grub? If you don't get a Grub boot menu when you start up, you can usually get one by holding down the Shift key. Then, choose "previous" to get a previous kernel. If that fixes it, you can remove the new one though I'm not sure how to do that in 11.10 .