Thread: Authentication required by wireless network - multiple dialogue boxes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Authentication required by wireless network - multiple dialogue boxes

Hi,

It's been bothering me since I upgraded to 10.10. My laptop is usually connected to the router through a cable as it is close to the edge of the wireless range with an unreliable signal.

Despite being connected to the wired network I keep getting an authentication box that says: "Authentication required by wireless network."
    If I ignore it, a second authentication box will pop up a few minutes later and often when I come back to the laptop after being away for a few hours, there are eight or ten of these authentication boxes open on my screen.

The problem goes away if I manually disable the wireless card, but this is usually only temporary. When I reboot, or when the cat walks on my keyboard it usually comes on automatically again.

Questions:
    1. Is there something I can do in my settings to let this connection take place automatically without asking for authentication (the dialogue box already has the correct password in it)?

2. If I have to provide authentication - how can I go about requesting that the system brings only one box and patiently waits for an answer from me, rather than to keep displaying multiple new boxes? (An action on one of the boxes does not cause the other boxes to go away.)

I have not experienced this in earlier versions. I experience this on all my devices.
    Last edited by weiersc; December 15th, 2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: syntax error spotted that changed meaning of sentence

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Authentication required by wireless network - multiple dialogue boxes

Right click on the network manager icon in the panel, and go to "Edit Connections" then find the wireless connection, again click on Edit, and make sure both boxes for "Available for all users" and "Connect automatically" are both checked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've just double checked. I have both those boxes checked, but as I'm typing I just got another authentication request. So this does not solve the problem for me.

Beans

The dialog is not requesting local user login; it is requesting network credentials.

I still get this on 12.12. It is reportedly fixed in the next release. See the end of this bug thread:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...et/+bug/912702

Other places where it's been complained about:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/19707...cation-windows
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/18012...authentication
    Last edited by phord2; January 24th, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: More info