Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Another thought - I agree with the poster who quibbled about the length of the article in ONE regard. Your title. It is not accurate. You compensate for this fairly quickly by stating your goals. It was because I read that section that I at first did not feel any issues with the title, but on reflection, your title should reflect your goals more accurately, and it should reflect that you spend a great deal of space on setting this up to talk outside the LAN, and talk to Macs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And for server newbies like me to get a better understanding of Raid, kevinthecomputerguy has just put a couple of very nice videos explaining the setting up and operation of Raid devices using Webmin as browser control of the Raid from here. http://woodel.com/

regards

Beans

Fantastic job. Great work - fantastically great production.
    Thanks! I am not much of a programmer, so this is one of the few ways I know to give back to the Linux community.

Quote Originally Posted by mbuell View Post
    Another thought - I agree with the poster who quibbled about the length of the article in ONE regard. Your title. It is not accurate. You compensate for this fairly quickly by stating your goals. It was because I read that section that I at first did not feel any issues with the title, but on reflection, your title should reflect your goals more accurately, and it should reflect that you spend a great deal of space on setting this up to talk outside the LAN, and talk to Macs.
    Good point. I don't know if I can edit my original Title, but if I can do you have a suggestion how I should change it? Would it be more helpful if I called it an "in-depth guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies"? I have a limited amount of text. Maybe I should drop the "for Newbies" and put something else there?

A minor correction, I think. When you get to the section managing the disks you state this command:
    sudo fdisk -l | grep -i "Disk /dev/"
    But your results look like you actually used this command:
    sudo fdisk -l | grep -i "Disk "
    You are absolutely correct. I will make the change to the original text. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbuell View Post
    Also - it would be easier to use this in a paged and linked format - with each section being a different page. That may be more work than you care to indulge in, but it would be easier to browse what you have.
    Yeah, that was my original plan in fact. Each section was supposed to be a new post. But as it turns out, you have to get these tutorials approved before they get posted and they wouldn't have approved just the first section so I munged them all together into a single post (who knew it could handle that much text in a single posting? ).

I'd still like to figure out a way to split it up after the fact, but I don't know how something like that would be possible. Maybe a repeat post of each section, and just edit the first post to be links? But then there would be all of these intermediate posts between the "contents section" and the actual content.

Hmmm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drdos2006 View Post
    And for server newbies like me to get a better understanding of Raid, kevinthecomputerguy has just put a couple of very nice videos explaining the setting up and operation of Raid devices using Webmin as browser control of the Raid from here. http://woodel.com/

regards
    Looks like an interesting link. Thanks! I will peruse it as I have a bit more time and maybe update my post to include links to his work.

Beans

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you set up your server with DAAP?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdawgvh View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why didn't you set up your server with DAAP?
    Actually I started doing just that. I had installed forked-daapd which is the most up to date version of DAAP available and it works quite well. Unfortunately, the iTunes side of things is less than ideal. iTunes and DAAP does not allow me to create playlists from the client computer as far as I can tell. Nor does it appear to let me rate songs from the client, add music from the client, etc.

(All of these issues are true for a "real" iTunes server as well as far as I can tell).

That is why I switched to setting up a subsonic server. Even though it runs via Java which I don't love (though I can't really tell you why I find it problematic) the package is very nicely put together and is very flexible. And as long as you stay away from the web interface, it can even be very pretty on the client side. Submariner on the Mac works pretty well. I suspect there are even more and better options on the pc.

Now I can create playlists from any connected machine, rate songs, etc. I prefer how it organizes my music too (it just mimics the structure on the hard drive instead of using the tags embedded in the tracks). Finally, though I have yet to take advantage of this, it allows me to stream music to anywhere in the world that I have a web connection (I would have to set up some sort of static IP address and change my firewall settings for that... something I intend to do eventually but not now).

Beans

Nice write up. I wish I had this when I was getting started. With Netatalk don't forget to add the "tm" option to the end of your AppleVolume.default for your shares. This will allow Apple Time Machine to recognize the share as Time Machine compatible. Also make sure your shares have read-write permissions.

Beans

Smile Re: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Thank you for the great tutorial.

I followed along and when I tried to install the knockd software,
    apt-get couldn't download anything anymore.

After a bit of searching I found that ufw needed another rule:

sudo ufw allow out http

which allows outgoing connections on port 80/tcp.

Can you confirm that, or did I miss something?

Beans

I've got this all up and running (although I do have a Ubuntu client instead of a Mac). I would like to make a small change. I want my server to automatically update itself. My concern is that I have the server checking every five minutes for activity on my network and it shuts itself down if it finds none. So if I fire up my laptop to grab a file that I forgot or something and then shut it right back down my server might not have time to complete all the updates. Is there a way to prevent the system from shutting down until updates are complete?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast