Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Beans

Re: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbuddy View Post
    Totally agree with the post above. Thank you for taking the time to create this. You're a
    Showed this to my wife. She agrees

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tardyviking View Post
    Thanks. Dude I love reading tutorials that are "narrative" . Yours is very helpful and I will use it when I set up my server. Thanks. Your style is great for beginners.
    My pleasure. I can get really wordy sometimes but I'm glad that that style works for you.

As I mentioned above, if you want to hang on to this tutorial you should consider copying it to your local machine as this forum is being taken down in the near future (no more tips and tricks unfortunately).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MortenSJ View Post
    Thanks for a great tutorial. This really helped alot.
    Thanks!

I'm trying to do the mail thing, and i went with the gmail thing and got it to work.

I have a problem when i try to initiate the script.

Code:
    sudo ~/testContinuous.sh
    I get this error

Code:
    /home/myUserName/testContinuous.sh: line 3: mail: command not found
    What happens if you type the following on a command line?

Code:
    which mail

BUT i think the script is working just fine. I keep getting mails every 5 minuttes from the server, but they are saying this.

Code:
    /bin/sh: 1: /usr/local/sbin/continuous.sh: Permission denied

I actually think the script is not working at all. Those emails may be from cron itself. If you set up your cron to email you whenever it encounters an error, that means that every time it tries to run the continuous.sh script it fails and then sends you an email.

The actual error you are getting is Permission denied which means that the permissions on your script are incorrect. Type the following into your shell and post back the results here:

Code:
    ls -l /usr/local/sbin/continuous.sh

I also get an error when trying to run this

Code:
    sudo ~/hddtemp_monitor.sh
    Error

Code:
    /home/myUserName/hddtemp_monitor.sh: line 11: [: -ge: unary operator expected
    I tried to google it, but i cant find anything useful.

This is similar (or maybe even identical) the issue that Philliesfan251 was having. If you read through this entire thread, you will see what I am talking about. Specifically it appears that the output of your hddtemp command is not actually outputting a pure number. Check out what he was dealing with. If you are still having issues after you read through the thread feel free to ask me more questions.
    Last edited by bvz; February 16th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Philliesfan251 View Post
    No worries, I'm not really in any rush, like I said. Here's the results. I did receive an email and the server did shut down.

Code:
    frank@Server:~$ sudo nano ~/temp.sh
    [sudo] password for frank:
    frank@Server:~$ chmod ugo+rwx ~/temp.sh
    chmod: changing permissions of `/home/frank/temp.sh': Operation not permitted
    frank@Server:~$ sudo chmod ugo+rwx ~/temp.sh
    frank@Server:~$ ~/temp.sh
    ALERT_LEVEL
    /dev/sda: open: Permission denied

HDTEMP

/home/frank/temp.sh: line 15: [: -ge: unary operator expected
    /dev/sdb: open: Permission denied

HDTEMP

/dev/sdc: open: Permission denied

HDTEMP

/dev/sdd: open: Permission denied

HDTEMP

frank@Server:~$ sudo ~/temp.sh
    ALERT_LEVEL
    HDTEMP

Broadcast message from frank@Server
            (/dev/pts/0) at 16:25 ...

The system is going down for halt NOW!
    HDTEMP
    Email
    Code:
    The server ubuntu is shutting down due to excessive hard drive temp. Drive: /dev/sda has reached a temperature of 33 degrees Celsius and has crossed its limit of 1 degrees Celsius

Hey Philliesfan251,

So it looks like you got it working, right?

Beans

By the way to everyone who has questions. If for some reason this forum does disappear and you still need questions answered, feel free to send me a pm. You can even send me one if you post a message and I don't respond within a day or two. If I get a notice that someone has posted here and I don't open it up right away I sometimes forget to return to the forum and then I don't get any additional notifications when there are new postings.

Picture someone with crazy hair who walks around muttering to themselves with strings tied to each finger.

That's me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    You can help to maintain a wiki in the Community Wikis or create a new one if none exists.

That is where all the Tutorials & Tips have gone.
    I'll give it a try. One thing I am not sure about is how people ask questions about the wiki. For example if some of the folks here were having trouble with something I wrote (like they have) where would they go to ask questions. And how would I know that they asked these questions so that I could either answer them (or fix the wiki)?

I know that others can update the wiki and that makes it a community project and I am ok with that. I just wanted to know how I personally would still be able to connect with the people who are having trouble with a wiki I created.

Also, I suspect there is a tutorial on setting up/maintaining a wiki. Could you point me to it? Thanks! People on this forum have been so helpful to me I do like the idea of giving back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by bvz View Post
    I'll give it a try. One thing I am not sure about is how people ask questions about the wiki. For example if some of the folks here were having trouble with something I wrote (like they have) where would they go to ask questions. And how would I know that they asked these questions so that I could either answer them (or fix the wiki)?

I know that others can update the wiki and that makes it a community project and I am ok with that. I just wanted to know how I personally would still be able to connect with the people who are having trouble with a wiki I created.

Also, I suspect there is a tutorial on setting up/maintaining a wiki. Could you point me to it? Thanks! People on this forum have been so helpful to me I do like the idea of giving back.
    What has normally occurred is the information in the OP or whatever gets moved to the wiki and a thread is created for questions/comments.

I believe there is a script out there that can help convert a forum post to wikicode, but I don't know where it is off the top of my head.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hello,

I want to start by saying I really appreciate this thread. It has been very helpful in setting up my server. Now to my problem. I am trying to get the maintenance scripts up and working and everything works until I get to the part where I am writing test scripts. Everything is fine until I go to test the test scripts. I get this:

Code:
    /home/dylan/testContinuous.sh: line 3: mail: command not found
    I tried to google for some answers but I didnt find anything helpful. I do know that msmtp is working correctly because I did an echo test email and I received the test email. Thanks for your time and the guide again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Are you sure you have the mailutils package installed?

Otherwise, check to make sure you are using the full path to mail.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

That totally fixed it. I thought I had installed that package but I guess I didn't. Either way thanks for the tip

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast