Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Beans

Re: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Thank you for this guide.

I modified the script hddtemp_monitor.sh for use with seagate and WD drives. I have both and it seems that WD drives have an additional character which is recognized as a delimiter in awk:

Code:
    HDTEMP=$($HDT $disk | awk '{ print $4}' | awk -F '°' '{ print $1}')
    To:
    Code:
    HDTEMP=$($HDT $disk | sed 's/\(.*\)://g' | awk -F '°' '{ print $1}')
    I thought that others may find use for it.

Of course, if you had all seagate drives then you could just usethe following instead:
    Code:
    HDTEMP=$($HDT $disk | awk '{ print $3}' | awk -F '°' '{ print $1}')
    Again, thanks for the guide... very useful

EDIT: For the coretemp stuff, couldn't a default value be used instead of an additional conditional statement that checks for numbers?
    Last edited by meanmoe32; April 7th, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans

I found two utilities that might be useful.

Webmin automatically does a lot of the stuff that we did manually here:
    http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin

The other one had been bothering me for a little while. Little did I know that it was there all along, I just needed to configure it. My goal is to let Ubuntu update Windows style. I like how Windows does all of it's updates with very little user intervention. This can be done by configuring unattended updates
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...c-updates.html

Beans

hey, I've been trying to follow this but the WOL script is down.

could anybody mirror the unix script at
    Code:
    http://www.gknw.net/wol.html
    for us?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu 11.10 server for Newbies!

Hi, bvz. Are you still around?

Did you know that this is one of the best threads on the whole internet?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Wow. I had no idea anyone was even reading this.

I moved, got married, went on a long trip and then got back to my life about 2 months ago. I must have my notification settings messed up because I never get any emails that anyone commented on this thread. I just assumed nobody was interested in reading my ridiculously long tutorial.

I'll go through it over the next few days and see what's been happening (and fix up any errors in the original post if they have been pointed out). I also am thinking of redoing the whole thing with the latest version of Ubuntu Server, just to keep things up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Hi, bvz. Are you still around?

Did you know that this is one of the best threads on the whole internet?

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bvz View Post
    Wow. I had no idea anyone was even reading this.

I moved, got married, went on a long trip and then got back to my life about 2 months ago. I must have my notification settings messed up because I never get any emails that anyone commented on this thread. I just assumed nobody was interested in reading my ridiculously long tutorial.

I'll go through it over the next few days and see what's been happening (and fix up any errors in the original post if they have been pointed out). I also am thinking of redoing the whole thing with the latest version of Ubuntu Server, just to keep things up to date.
    I've been following this as well! It is a great post and I refer to it often. Thank you.

If you decide to spend some time on this, I'd like to suggest integrating squid into the mix. I installed squid and iptable rules to run a transparent proxy. Now the server can't resolve .local. addresses!?!

Mark

p.s. Congratulations on getting married! I hope you will be as happily married as I am to my beautiful bride.
    Last edited by jmc1024; September 29th, 2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add congrats

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1024 View Post
    p.s. Congratulations on getting married! I hope you will be as happily married as I am to my beautiful bride.
    Thanks! I got one of the good ones myself. Couldn't be happier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmc1024 View Post
    If you decide to spend some time on this, I'd like to suggest integrating squid into the mix. I installed squid and iptable rules to run a transparent proxy. Now the server can't resolve .local. addresses!?!.
    I'll look into squid. I never heard of it before now so it might take some time to figure it out (and time is one of those things I am perpetually short on).

My primary goal with this setup was to be "reasonably close" to a bare metal installation so that I would learn what everything does. Now a real Linux guru would consider this install as not even close to bare metal, but for my purposes it is.

I'll check into squid, but if it just wraps some of what I am already doing I might skip it simply because I want a solid understanding of what works and why. That is the same reason I skipped using any webmin type stuff as well. Eventually I will switch to something like that, but when I do I hope that my time setting up this server like I did will help me really be able to troubleshoot and customize the system after one of these more automated interfaces has had its way.

Another thing I am considering is trying out openmediavault. It seems like it is exactly the kind of thing I could use: Automated but based on debian so that I can go in and customize it.

Beans

i tell you, you are a legend i have been following this for weeks now and slowly building up my server day by day, i am using 12.04 and so far it all works perfect with a few little things that i am posting so far

Code:
    sudo chmod u+x /usr/local/sbin/continuous.sh
    this code didnt work for me, it seemed to work on the test script, when running it mannualy but i got this email every 5 mins haha

Code:
    /bin/sh: 1: /usr/local/sbin/continuous.sh: Permission denied
    busted my balls getting this ever 5 mins for 2 whole days haha,

it was fixed by using a different type of chmod code that you used after that,

instead of u+x i did ugo+rwx

and now i dont get any emails, but i know it worked as i got a error email from hdd temp which was fixed hopefully fixed the other guy who posted about that error

again many many thanks for this, its long but omg so good, all the info is in one place no sodding about in multiple threads and pages

P.S congrats on getting married too dude

Beans

Hiya BVZ,

Great post, I was completely lost without it!
    I ran into some difficulties during the setup of the RAID Array. I'm trying to create RAID10 and simply substituted 'level 5' for 'level 10' during the setup. It wouldn't mount to any mount point I created. I installed Webmin, deleted the array and rebuilt (using webmin) and I'm all sweet now (or so I hope).
    I'm now setting up the systems to monitor the health of the server and was wondering what the point of your 'Hourly' 'Daily' 'Weekly' scripts are, and if they are of any great importance. I've followed your instructions to the letter (and triple checked that my email address is spelled correctly) but when I test any of the scripts in the ~/ directory it sends no email and states "line 3: mail: command not found" (MDADM reporting to the same Gmail address is working fine however).

I'm a Ubuntu novice using Server 12.04, could someone shed some light on this?
    Last edited by incindre; October 25th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast