Thread: Password change causes total lockout (11.10)

Beans

Red face Password change causes total lockout (11.10)

Hello all,

At the weekend I wanted to change my password as I'd had to disclose it to a colleague. Having been unable to do so in the GUI, I ran passwd %username% in the terminal, put in the password twice on request (it was very slow in asking), then the computer crashed, no cursor, no mouse, no <Ctrl><Alt><F1>. Nada.

After reboot I was able to login and change the password , but the machine would not let me sudo. This morning, the login screen accepts my password but then after a few seconds returns me to the login screen.

When I boot into recovery and try to change the password I get 'authentication token manipulation error – password not changed’. I am the computer’s primary/only user and my home directory is encrypted, but my last full backup is over a month old (stupid I know) and most worryingly I took minutes at an important AGM meeting which are not yet distributed.

The details in my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow are distinct but I’ve been warned against manually editing these. Is there any thing I can do or do I need to reconvene the AGM?
    Yours hopefully,
    Matt

Beans

Re: Password change causes total lockout (11.10)

No-one has any suggestions? Have I really lost all my data?
    Any suggestions at all very welcome!
    Thanks,
    Matt