Thread: Dictionary Disappearing Act

Beans

Red face Dictionary Disappearing Act

I regularly use several languages in my work and use dictionaries for all these languages in both LibreOffice and Evolution. Lately, all dictionaries except the English language ones do a disappearing act on a regular basis. The language choices under Tools - Spelling just shows various English dictionaries and none of the others.

When this happens, I go to the Synaptic Package Manager and reinstall the packages. That makes them reappear in the Spelling menu. However, it is just a matter of time before they disappear again...

The problem began shortly after updating to Ubuntu 11.10 from 11.04 (64-bit).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Dictionary Disappearing Act

If you open Ubuntu Software Center, there is a tab with history. Try to find what is unisntalled lately.

Beans

Hardly anything. Just Fontconfig...

Beans
    Distro

I think it's a problem of updates. During the updates of LibreOffice or Evolution, the new packages were not including the dictionaries. You can check from History opening all the tabs to see if it happened something like this.

Beans

Question Re: Dictionary Disappearing Act

Aha! On the 8th of December there is an update of Evolution and an update of the EN language pack. No corresponding update for other installed packs. Thanks for the tip, BC59.

It would be reasonable to expect that the language packs should update with changes in Evolution and / or LibreOffice, wouldn't it? Should I report this as a bug?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
    Aha! On the 8th of December there is an update of Evolution and an update of the EN language pack. No corresponding update for other installed packs. Thanks for the tip, BC59.

It would be reasonable to expect that the language packs should update with changes in Evolution and / or LibreOffice, wouldn't it? Should I report this as a bug?
    It's a little unusual during the update to loose the dictionary packages. Might be a bug.
    Before reporting better search if it's already reported.