Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: script to check ip address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

script to check ip address

I have a home network which I have SSH set up on. I would like to be able to dial my home network remotely but my ip address changes at least once a day. I called my ISP to see if they can provide me with a static IP address, but they charge a lot of money to lease static IPs to compensate for the assumed increase in bandwidth of running a server.
    I don't plan on running a game server or anything that requires a lot of bandwidth so I don't want to spend the extra money.
    So my plan was to create a simple script that would query my external IP address, echo it to a file and then email the contents of that file to myself at regular intervals.
    I've gotten the first part of the script working and it does echo my external IP. However, the second part which would then email the script to myself I can't figure out. Then the third part I guess would be to run a cron job that will execute the script.

Here is my script so far.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

IPFILE=/home/user/ipaddress

CURRENT_IP=$(wget http://www.whatismyip.org -O - -o /dev/null)

MAIL_FROM="From: insert@email.address-here"

if [ -f $IPFILE ]; then
    KNOWN_IP=$(cat $IPFILE)
    else
    KNOWN_IP=
    fi

if [ "$CURRENT_IP" != "$KNOWN_IP" ]; then
    echo $CURRENT_IP > $IPFILE

MAIL_SUBJECT="IP address at home"
    MAIL_BODY="The IP address at home has been changed to $CURRENT_IP. Update SSH client now."

echo $MAIL_BODY | mail -a "$MAIL_FROM" -s "$MAIL_SUBJECT" -c insert@email.address-here
    logger -t ipcheck -- IP changed to $CURRENT_IP
    else
    logger -t ipcheck -- No IP change
    fi
    When I execute the script, my IP address is echoed to ~/ipaddress. But mail is not being sent to my email address. Do I need to configure mail? I installed 'mailutils' and set the server settings to 'internet site' since I use gmail. Is that incorrect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: script to check ip address

This is a much better solution rather than emailing your IP:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS

In short:
    Configure your router to automatically update your free dynamic domain name URL, or use ddclient on your ssh server to do it.

Then you can ssh to: ssh you@yourdnsdomain.com instead of having to type in a new IP address every time.
    Last edited by dmizer; December 8th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

that was going to be plan B actually. Mostly I was trying to see if I could get the script to work

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by N00b-un-2 View Post
    that was going to be plan B actually. Mostly I was trying to see if I could get the script to work
    To get the script to work, you would indeed have to configure sendmail on your server. In most cases, ISPs have smtp blocked (anti spam) so you'd have to jump through some pretty difficult hoops to get everything working. Not impossible though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I registered at freedns.afraid.org. I was able to ssh to my home computer from my phone using my name server/dns/whatever you call it. However, I have my doubts that when my ip changes it's going to continue working.

Beans
    Distro

I registered at freedns.afraid.org. I was able to ssh to my home computer from my phone using my name server/dns/whatever you call it. However, I have my doubts that when my ip changes it's going to continue working.
    That's why you need to install and configure ddclient: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Dy...ic_DNS_Updates

Beans

I have a home network which I have SSH set up on. I would like to be able to dial my home network remotely but my ip address changes at least once a day. I called my ISP to see if they can provide me with a static IP address, but they charge a lot of money to lease static IPs to compensate for the assumed increase in bandwidth of running a server.
    I don't plan on running a game server or anything that requires a lot of bandwidth so I don't want to spend the extra money.
    So my plan was to create a simple script that would query my external IP address, echo it to a file and then email the contents of that file to myself at regular intervals.
    I've gotten the first part of the script working and it does echo my external IP. However, the second part which would then email the script to myself I can't figure out. Then the third part I guess would be to run a cron job that will execute the script.

Here is my script so far.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

IPFILE=/home/user/ipaddress

CURRENT_IP=$(wget http://www.whatismyip.org -O - -o /dev/null)

MAIL_FROM="From: insert@email.address-here"

if [ -f $IPFILE ]; then
    KNOWN_IP=$(cat $IPFILE)
    else
    KNOWN_IP=
    fi

if [ "$CURRENT_IP" != "$KNOWN_IP" ]; then
    echo $CURRENT_IP > $IPFILE

MAIL_SUBJECT="IP address at home"
    MAIL_BODY="The IP address at home has been changed to $CURRENT_IP. Update SSH client now."

echo $MAIL_BODY | mail -a "$MAIL_FROM" -s "$MAIL_SUBJECT" -c insert@email.address-here
    logger -t ipcheck -- IP changed to $CURRENT_IP
    else
    logger -t ipcheck -- No IP change
    fi
    When I execute the script, my IP address is echoed to ~/ipaddress. But mail is not being sent to my email address. Do I need to configure mail? I installed 'mailutils' and set the server settings to 'internet site' since I use gmail. Is that incorrect?

If you intend to do an email script, here is a very simple one.

You need curl and mailutils

sudo apt-get install curl
    sudo apt-get install mailutils
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "Current IP is $(curl www.whatismyip.org)" | mail -s "IP Address" myemail@domain.com
    put it into your crontab to run once a day or however often you need

Beans

Here I wrote a better one.
    This will do its own automatic check for an IP change. If the ip changes it will notify you via email.

#!/bin/bash
    echo $(curl www.whatismyip.org) > ~/ipaddress.txt
    if [ "x$(curl www.whatismyip.org)" = "x$(cat ~/ipaddress.txt)" ]
    then
    exit
    else
    echo "Current IP is $(curl www.whatismyip.org)" | mail -s "Your IP Address has changed" mail@domain
    fi

Run that in a crontab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the problem i'm running into is that when I run mail no email is sent. I installed mailutils, but I don't think I have it configured right.

Beans

the problem i'm running into is that when I run mail no email is sent. I installed mailutils, but I don't think I have it configured right.
    There is nothin to configure in mail utils

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast