Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was Ubuntu 11.10 faster for you than Windows 7?

Beans

Re: Was Ubuntu 11.10 faster for you than Windows 7?

A fresh install of Windows 7 feels snappier than a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.

Windows 7:

File Explorer -- starts in miliseconds

Ubuntu:
    Nautilus file explorer -- takes about 3 seconds to start and 1 second to display the files

Chrome starts faster on Windows 7
    Eclipse starts faster on Windows 7

The only slow thing I have noticed on Windows 7 is extracting ZIP archives which is about 3 times slower than Ubuntu.

My computer 2x2GHz Intel CPU, 3GB RAM, Intel GM45 GPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by JF382 View Post
    Was Ubuntu 11.10 faster for you than Windows 7?
    Well,let's put it this way:

Some years I bought a Dual AMD64 machine to specifically run Linux.Later,I decided to put XP on,because I had a few games I wanted to run and the other PC was too slow.It was the worst thing I ever did,because I watched that PC over a year slow to a crawl.At that time,I set up a dual boot with Ubuntu 11.04,then upgraded to 11.10 and that machine just flew!

Windows 7,is like any versions of Windows(design-wise),over time(the Registry is the main reason IMHO),it slows to a crawl and one can only do so much to keep it clean.

I tried the Ubuntu CD live on my Win7 Laptop just the other day and,boy was it fast.Unfortunately,the Brother MFC-J415 4-1 Printer could be problem,if I jumped ship on the Lappy.

When XP is done,I'm moving my other PC to Ubuntu,and eventually this Laptop,then I'll be Windows free.

Beans

Closed. Necromancing.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123