Thread: Gnome 3 / Unity: How to place the panels left and right insead of top and bottom?

Gnome 3 / Unity: How to place the panels left and right insead of top and bottom?

Hello Unity and/or Gnome 3 users

I changed to Ubuntu 11.10 this month and now I am missing the ability to place my panels on the left and on the right of the desktop.

Because I often Use documents which are higher than wide, I liked the possibility to add the main Panels to the left and to the right of the main desktop.

Is there a possibility to configure Unity or Gnome 3 to place the main panels to the left and right of the desktop?

(I already opened the gconf-editor, but ... too many options to find the right switch...)

Any help is welcome

phi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Gnome 3 / Unity: How to place the panels left and right insead of top and bottom?

sorry but i don't think i understand your question. aren't the panels already on the left in Ubuntu 11.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Gnome 3 / Unity: How to place the panels left and right insead of top and bottom?

Could you post a screen shot of your desktop because Unity has no bottom panel .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you have installed the "gnome-session-fallback" and can use the Gnome3 DE, available to select at the login screen, you have the option, just as before, to place panels where you want them. This does not apply to the Unity DE, at least that I could find. Now you have to press "alt" + right mouse button and the panel properties will come up and, as before, you can designate the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Could you post a screen shot of your desktop because Unity has no bottom panel .
    true, for unity, but gnome 3 has a bottom panel.
    But unity has a top panel! I want to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikelinuxitisthebest View Post
    sorry but i don't think i understand your question. aren't the panels already on the left in Ubuntu 11.10?
    Nope,
    default for unity is "TOP" and "LEFT"
    default for gnome 3 ist "TOP" and "BOTOM"

I want them "LEFT" and "RIGHT"

Quote Originally Posted by 73ckn797 View Post
    If you have installed the "gnome-session-fallback" and can use the Gnome3 DE, available to select at the login screen, you have the option, just as before, to place panels where you want them. This does not apply to the Unity DE, at least that I could find. Now you have to press "alt" + right mouse button and the panel properties will come up and, as before, you can designate the position.
    Thanks: the "alt" + "right mouse" did the trick in gnome 3.

They have gone now from top and bottom. (Unfortunately they don't show anywhere now... try a reboot ...)

Quote Originally Posted by phibuntu View Post
    Thanks: the "alt" + "right mouse" did the trick in gnome 3.

They have gone now from top and bottom. (Unfortunately they don't show anywhere now... try a reboot ...)
    Uh Oh!

Now, it seams to be a bug. The panels appear after a new login, but disapear after opening the browser. I have to reboot every time, I want to see the panels

I will make some more tests and bring this bug to a new thread ...