Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: create windows 7 system recovery disc set

create windows 7 system recovery disc set

Hi All,

I bought a (new) Dell 15r that will not allow me to create a set of system recovery disks. I haven't moved linux to it yet.

Dell claims there is a partition with the system recovery data on it, but strongly suggests that a set of recovery DVD's be created, and then safely stored for future use if needed.

I have no experience with Windows 7, and this is my first 64 bit system.

But the utility program they give for creating the system recovery DVD set always fails on the second DVD, and always stops at 50 percent of the final (verification) step in the burning process.

Is there any way to use linux to save the factory installed system recovery partition? Conezilla would do the job, but I do not want to buy a 750 GB hard drive (my Dell has a 640 GB drive).

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Art
    Last edited by goodbye-windows(tm); December 11th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Beans

Re: create windows 7 system recovery disc set

If it's indeed a new PC, then get on to Dell support, and tell them the DVD writer must be faulty, as it consistently fails to write the diks without a problem. They should then supply a new one, and may install it for you (depending on what type of support you have).
    Derek

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another possibility is a corrupted file in the recovery partition. The verification process would probably be some sort of checksum, and it's significant that it's consistently the second DVD that fails. If the first passes, then it could be a file that belongs in the second DVD that is corrupted.

Explain the situation to Dell and hope that you get someone on the help desk who lives up to the name. At the very least they should supply you with a free set of recovery DVDs. At most they should re-install the OS and the recovery partition for you.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You can apply online to Dell for Backup Disks:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=gen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are you using Maxell DVD's? They always seem to fail.

I've personally never worried about the system recovery disks from the manufacturer. The sys recovery and full win 7 install disk isos can be found online, and are completely valid. You will need your windows activation key though. The amount of bloat and services that are set up to run with the manufacturers disks is amazing. You can save yourself 5-10GB and 20-30 running processes by doing a clean install. Ninety percent of the time, the drivers will come in automatically when installing.

TY to all for the guidance. I'll contact Dell for support. This is my second day that I've spent working on the problem, and I'm really thinking it's time for Dell to feel some of my pain.

Bye the way, if anyone is considering buying a Dell, I'd definitely NOT recommend it. The computer is overstuffed with third party software and blatant advertising. It's very hard to spot the what's junk and what is not. It will probably take me weeks just to get the Dell junk exorcized!!! And, windows 7 is just as bad-I don't understand why people put up with windows.

Before the Dell was delivered, I had been windows/microsoft free for 3 months, and I am pretty proud of it!

The best to all.....

Regards,

Art

Hi Derek,

I know about the maxell DVD's......I won't even allow them through the front door of the house.

It's not likely to be a problem with the discs themselves. I have attempted to create the recovery set twice, the first disc works fine. The second disk appears to be progressing nicely, but the progress stops in the last step of the writing procedure (verification) at exactly 50 percent.

GL,

Art

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

http://www.mydigitallife.info/window...-home-premium/

for Win7 isos. These are not cracked versions, but genuine MS Win isos.

Beans

What I suggest you do is order a set of silver pressed restoration dvds from Dell instead. They last longer just in case you need to switch back. Yes, they charge you a small fee to ship them out to you but that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye-windows(tm) View Post
    Hi All,

I bought a (new) Dell 15r that will not allow me to create a set of system recovery disks. I haven't moved linux to it yet.

Dell claims there is a partition with the system recovery data on it, but strongly suggests that a set of recovery DVD's be created, and then safely stored for future use if needed.

I have no experience with Windows 7, and this is my first 64 bit system.

But the utility program they give for creating the system recovery DVD set always fails on the second DVD, and always stops at 50 percent of the final (verification) step in the burning process.

Is there any way to use linux to save the factory installed system recovery partition? Conezilla would do the job, but I do not want to buy a 750 GB hard drive (my Dell has a 640 GB drive).

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Art

Beans

Instead of going to all this trouble -- only to end up with a set of disks that will restore your PC to its original state, forcing you to lose all your data and apps, why not just image off Win7 to an external drive, or to DVDs?

You can download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect to do just that. That way, if you even need to restore Win7, you will get it with all the stuff already working, and not have to start over from scratch.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast