Thread: Has anyone gotten a microsoft tax refund from Lenovo?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Has anyone gotten a microsoft tax refund from Lenovo?

Hi,

I recently baught a Lenovo ThinkPad and have quickly sent my first letter to Lenovo regarding a microsoft tax refund.

Has anyone here succeeded in getting a MS tax refund from Lenovo? If so, how did you do it? How long did it take? How did you prove you don't have windows on the computer? With the letter, I sent a photo of the laptop running Xubuntu. Is this enough?

TIA

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans

Re: Has anyone gotten a microsoft tax refund from Lenovo?

What is your jurisdiction, this is very much dependent on the laws of the country where you bought the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows refund

It's usually called a Windows Refund and often requires a lot of persistence. Look to see how others solved the problem and that may give ideas about how to deal with Lenovo in your country.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    What is your jurisdiction, this is very much dependent on the laws of the country where you bought the machine.
    Thank you. I'm in Ontario, Canada.
    Last edited by x1a4; December 12th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Windows refund

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's usually called a Windows Refund and often requires a lot of persistence. Look to see how others solved the problem and that may give ideas about how to deal with Lenovo in your country.
    Thank you. Looks like I have a long road of hassles before I get my money, if at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows refund

Quote Originally Posted by x1a4 View Post
    Thank you. Looks like I have a long road of hassles before I get my money, if at all.
    Not necessarily. In some cases it goes very smoothly. From here, there's no way to predict if it will be easy or hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a followup, here's someone who had a harder time getting a refund from Lenovo. The result is that it is now easier for the rest of us.

"Lenovo ordered to pay €1920 for making French laptop buyer pay for Windows too"