Thread: A relatively new Distro, KahelOS.

Beans

Post A relatively new Distro, KahelOS.

I would like to introduce you to a little distro I can across, and am currently running on my machine called KahelOS. KahelOS is based on Arch Linux, but featuring a pre-configured Gnome Shell experience. Which I would really cool, because most "Arch based/Forks" use KDE (Chakra) or a lighter DWM (ArchBang). Anyways, the distro boasts:

KahelOS is the first and remains to be the only Filipino Linux Distro with the rolling release model on Arch Linux + GNOME. In the community, it is the first to release (non-beta) such Linux OS on Arch Linux + GNOME.

KahelOS is not just an Operating System so to speak. IT is not just a Technology Product on a Linux and Open Source Platform added to the thousands of FREE Distros already available in the community. IT does not explicitly want to be different or to be set apart from the rest. However, among others, we simply would like Kahel OS (just like our team) to be the embodiment of our IT Values and Philosophy.
    What is KahelOS Linux?

KahelOS Linux Distro is based on Arch Linux. Its KahelOS Linux Desktop is a first distro on Arch Linux + GNOME to also have rolling-release model. The KahelOS Server and Desktop distribution aims to provide the most up-to-date and comfortable Linux OS distribution optimized for i686 and x86-64.

What is rolling-release model?

Rolling-release model is an update system that synchronize packages with the current available versions to be used immediately without waiting for a new release of the OS.

Why rolling-release?

While other Linux distributions are locked in the previous versions supported by their package managers, Kahel Linux is a breathe of fresh air that will bring users with the most up-to-date upstream versions of Linux applications, where users will not have to wait for months for a new release in order to use the latest versions.

Is synchronization model “unstable”?

There are 3 kinds of repository that we get our packages from, “core”, “community” and “testing”. All the new applications will have to be put on the “testing” repository for extensive testing before it can be moved to “community” and “core”. We only use the “core” and “community” versions.

What Else is New?

The Mabuhay Welcome Center, introduces you to what is in store when one installs and use KahelOS.
    Hassle-Free Automatic Installation
    KahelOS is synonymous to hunger for knowledge that’s why we have packed educational packages for learners and teaching tools
    Start-up businesses can be more productive, to manage and organize information with the SME Packages.
    Developers can immediately take advantage of the pre-installed Apache webserver, MySql database, PhpMyAdmin and Bluefish as your editor.
    This cool, innovative contribution and initiative of KahelOS springs from a plenty of other preceeding innovations and the unsung heroes of the collaborative open source community. We can’t thank you enough and you have inspired us to do more and share more of ourselves and expect nothing in return.

We especially extend our gratitude and recognizes The Gnome Project, Arch Linux and Larch Project as the derivations of the KahelOS Project.

These are some packages that you’ll enjoy when using KahelOS:

Based on Arch Linux
    Mabuhay Welcome Center
    LiveCD with GUI Installer
    Gnome 3.2.1
    Kernel 3.1.2
    Chromium 15.0.874.121
    Firefox 8.0.1
    LibreOffice 3.4.4
    xorg-server 1.11.2
    OpenJDK6
    Apache+mySQL+PHP
    Evolution Groupware
    GIMP 2.6.11
    GnuCash 2.4.8
    TweetDeck 0.37.5
    Miro 4.0.3
    Thunderbird 8.0
    Bluefish 2.2.0
    and more….

And finally, we are also introducing the new KahelOS mascot, MULAT. The Filipino native tarsier is named Mulat to signify openness and awareness.

The distro is also very attractive, so I encourage you guys to at least try it out! And hey, you might just like it.

http://www.kahelos.org/
    Last edited by Dlambert; February 12th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: A relatively new Distro, KahelOS.

I'm checking it out......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    I'm checking it out......
    Good!
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New is indeed relative. KahelOS has been released in 2009 according to their news site

http://www.kahelos.org/whatsnew.php

Beans

Yeah, so? It's only 2 years old.

Beans

Bump!