Thread: How to get IBurst USB modem working with kernel 3.0 and up

Beans

How to get IBurst USB modem working with kernel 3.0 and up

Hello,

This is my first post here, so be kind people

This is a guide on how I was able to get the USB IBurst Modem working on ubuntu 11.10 with the newest kernel installed.

I searched high and low for a solution, however I saw no posts mentioned about this.

Anyways, here is what you should do.

Prior to compiling we will need the following prerequisites:

build-essential, gcc-4.6, libc6 and linux-headers-3.0.0-##-generic

Just install them by running the below:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.6 libc6 linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic
    Note: I was running here the 3.0.0-12 kernel, just change this to the appropriate kernel you are currently on. (You can check by typing uname -r)

After installing the pre-requisites, grab the newest drivers from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ibdriver/

Now unpack the drivers, and go through the directory.

There are two files you will need to edit in order to get this to work:

the Makefile and the ib-net.c .

First edit the Makefile and remove the following line:

obj-m += ib-pcmcia.o

Note: If you wish, you can just Comment it out by adding # prior to it, thus making it like so:

#obj-m += ib-pcmcia.o

Save the file and close it, then edit the ib-net.c and search for the following line:

Code:
    spinlock_t ib_lock = SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED;
    Remove it, and replace it with:

Code:
    DEFINE_SPINLOCK(ib_lock);
    Save the file and exit.

With the above done, you should be able to compile without further error, just open up a command prompt, browse to the extracted directory and run the following:

Code:
    make && sudo make install
    Enjoy!

P.S: This guide is for USB only, I do not know how to make the pcmcia to work and this guide actually removes the pcmcia drivers from being installed the first place.

P.S 2: English is not my native tongue, so excuse the wrong sentence compositions.
    Last edited by lost.soul; December 11th, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Proofreading

Beans

Re: How to get IBurst USB modem working with kernel 3.0 and up

thanks so much for posting the 'fix' for the drivers. After following the steps for installing the drivers for my kernel version, 3.2.0, running pppoeconf, and plugging in the modem, I see the following in syslog:

Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: SCPluginIfupdown: guessed connection type (ib0) = 802-3-ethernet
    Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: SCPlugin-Ifupdown: update_connection_setting_from_if_block: name:ib0, type:802-3-ethernet, id:Ifupdown (ib0), uuid: 353e15fa-f276-690c-8c3a-e7609d1d3651
    Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: SCPlugin-Ifupdown: adding ib0 to iface_connections
    Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: SCPlugin-Ifupdown: adding iface ib0 to well_known_interfaces
    Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ib0, iface: ib0)
    Jan 3 08:19:57 gd1 NetworkManager[1001]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/ib0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...

It looks like things are mostly working until I get the final warning message saying it 'couldn't determine the device driver'.

I'm not currently in range of any iBurst base stations, so I can't try connecting, but I do see the orange light on my modem (Kyocera model UTU03-1785D-US-A).

Does this warning mean that something is improperly configured? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!