Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new job on monday - excited and terrified

Beans

new job on monday - excited and terrified

hey folks,

i know this probably isn't the kind of place that i should vent this kind of anxiety but i thought some people here might have some good advice.

after being unemployed for the last three months i've finally got a job starting on monday. this is my first job as a software developer and it's for a pretty big company, so i really don't want to mess this up.

I've worked in transient, cash in hand type jobs in the States, in South Africa, in China, in Italy and other european countries (predominantly in the UK), doing all kinds of stuff between construction, waitering, pub promotion, farm work, teaching (in Chinese state schools), web-design liaison, office admin, tele-sales, courier (messenger) work, (the list goes on).

now, after a gruelling 3hr interview the company know my limitations, they know what i can do and what i can't and they are happy to train me to their specs. I am actually trained (I have a Masters) as a 'computer scientist'. so in theory it should all be fine.

however i am quite terrified about actually going to a job, particularly one that i do really want. in the past i've got and kept jobs easily because i have not really cared about them, now this is a proper career job. however i've got into the habit of staying up all night, sleeping till midday and being antisocial during the week.

How will i be able to be awake, professionally socially functional, able to actually learn the stuff that they are trying to train me in and actually perform well. I feel that i've been out of this kind of environment forever (as if i've ever actually been in it!). now i'm really terrified that i wont be able to do it. i feel like i should prepare, but i don't know what to prepare.

for those who have noticed my often unresearched an inane posts on ubuntuforums you will be happy to know they will probably be less frequent (subject to change - at least i'll try to make them all a bit more coherent and useful).

i am quite terrified about trying to be normal after being such a rolling stone for so long and about having the stamina to be able to work properly in a 9-5 (and not just want to go home at lunchtime).
    thanks for any help or suggestion about this.

ps. separate subject: don't know if anyone heard about this:
    http://www.technologyreview.com/comp...112/?p1=A3&a=f
    but i think it's quite interesting (i mean the whole point of FOSS and the creative commons licence is to make free information legal. but if we really should be sharing info, is this kind of illegal activity be a good thing or a bad thing?).

thank you for getting all the way through my post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: new job on monday - excited and terrified

I know a bit of nervousness and anxiety is completely normal when you start something new. I know I was terrified of screwing up when I got my current job.

Congrats on the job and best of luck!
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 11th, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Wow, I need to reread posts.. fixed wording
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I know a bit of nervousness and anxiety is completely normal when you start something new. I know I was terrified to screwing up when I got my current job.

Congrats on the job and best of luck!
    Agreed. The group I work with did something new to them last week. I think they were all nervous: I know I was.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Congrats, F.G.!

You'll do fine.

Trying to sleep the night before may be hard, but you'll do o.k.

Code:
    however i've got into the habit of staying up all night, sleeping till midday and being antisocial during the week.
    Love this part.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

thanks a lot for all of your support.
    i feel like i may be a special case (i'm sure everyone feels that way). then again it may be true.
    it's only saturday and i keep going up and down about the whole thing.

i just wonder what i can do to prepare (i could try to learn tcl or javascript or ajax security (all relevant) tomorrow, but i certainly can't learn them all, probably could only learn a bit of one).
    thanks again for your replies.

edit -> any thoughts on the ex-reddit boss gone information freedom-fighter stealing all those documents??
    Last edited by F.G.; December 11th, 2011 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

F.G.,

Relax!

When you get to work the company will probably not have a computer ready for you to work on. They will probably just give you some documents to read while they figure out where you will work and get the computer set up. The company is probably less prepared for your arrival than you are.

I have interviewed people for weeks to find the right employee. However; after I made a decision to hire someone, when the person actually arrived at work it took days for me to get them a place to work, a computer, and the accounts/permissions set up for them to actually do any work. It actually makes me feel bad; because, they are so eager to get working on something

Oh, and congratulations.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; December 11th, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Congrats and best of luck!

Beans

thanks alot for you replies and support.

old_grey_wolf you are right that i should relax. i will.

however, regarding how ready they are for me, they are really very ready.
    i'm going to be inducted, on an induction course. the place (not the company but the business complex) where they are is amazing as well, a bunch of space age buildings with a park, river, waterfall and bridge in the middle. they have on-site masseuses, dry-cleaning and car valeting, they have a physiotherapist, a games room, a gym, a refectory, everything. it's like something out of star-trek , or rather serenity.

their slogan is 'ENJOY WORK!' and all of the workers of the complex wear bright yellow t-shirts saying that in enormous capitalised letters. i'm not sure if this is a suggestion or an imperative command. eutopia or dystopia? i'll let you all know (for all you thomas moore fans, no, i don't think i'm making the mistake your thinking of).

ps. i'm not joking or exaggerateing in any way about this amazing business complex.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello F. G.

Good luck and join in that induction course. Try to talk to some of the other new people during breaks &c. It helps to compare notes with other new people over the first few weeks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keep telling yourself that by the end of two weeks you will feel like a part of the team. You will know where the toilet is, where the staff catering facilities are, know people's names and they will know your name.

But you already know this. You have learnt this lesson again and again. You are not stupid, are you? Then you can learn.

Just a point from my last employment experience - make sure you know where the emergency exits are and what to do in an emergency. In fact fire, health and safety training should be one of the first things that your new employer gives you.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast