Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new job on monday - excited and terrified

Beans

Re: new job on monday - excited and terrified

F.G. - All the very best! Congrats on your job!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Congratulations.

Just keep in mind that you've already been through a big part of proving yourself to them. Yeah, there's still more proving, but you've already jumped a big hurdle. And I agree with the one who said that within 2 weeks, you'll have friends and feel like you're a part of the team.

If it's really what you've been wanting, then relax and enjoy it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Congratz on the job.. and You wont screw up as it seems you know what you are talking about

Beans

Thanks again for all your comments, i've calmed down a bit now. Of course i have been employed full time before and worked in office environments etc, it's not such a radical shift, i know that i can do it again.

grahammechanical thanks for the soothing post, and the good advice about emergency exits, it's a big office building, that will be important.

forrestcupp, you know, i think that this is actually exactly what i've been looking for, and now i'v relaxed a bit I'm actually really looking forward to starting. Having been stewing for the last three months, endlessly reading the same types of inane job descriptions ('enthusiastic team player with good communication skills' etc etc) i've finally got one, and i think it's a good one.

since this thread is essentially about me, i may as well ramble a bit. if you don't like egocentric tracts, look away now.
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You are not stupid, are you?
    This has been a subject of some debate over the years.

Certainly in my early education it was assumed by most of my teachers that i was simple, and/or stupid, with a criminal, antisocial bent (actually i was never that anti-social, just had difficulty following rules i didn't really understand the purpose of).
    every now and then one of the more academic teachers would take the view that there was more going upstairs with me then people realized, for which i am grateful and which did bolster my confidence (shift my paradigm of self, etc.).

nonetheless in almost all public exams i was often predicted catastrophic failure, however when it came to the actual exams i always performed well, putting me in the top 1% of the country.

In a recent study (an IQ test, done by a professional) i got several IQ indexes ranging of 89 - 150.
    actually according to the psychologist i would probably have scored higher than 150 but that was the upper boundry of his test (the WIAS-4 test, which makes no sense to me at all). This psychologist went on to conclude that my natural iq was probably about 150 but my performance in certain skill areas was pushed down as a result of dyslexia and dyspraxia. well, i wonder if that would have been helpful to know at school.

what is quite concerning is that 89 is what i got for my 'Processing Speed Index', which sounds quite important.
    i do feel quite guilty that at the time of taking the test i was half drunk, half hung-over, having only slept for a few hours uncomfortably on a sofa after a house-party. i wonder if my scores would have been more coherent had i been clear minded.

am i stupid? i really don't know, i certainly do stupid things, one thing i have learnt is not to trust other peoples opinion on this particular matter.
    so, just for the record i don't really believe in the validity of IQ test at all, it is still quite interesting though.

anyhow, egocentric ramble over.

11.5 hours 'till work time. thanks again for all the advice and supportive comments.
    Last edited by F.G.; December 11th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    F.G.,

Relax!

When you get to work the company will probably not have a computer ready for you to work on. They will probably just give you some documents to read while they figure out where you will work and get the computer set up. The company is probably less prepared for your arrival than you are.
    My experience exactly!!

Just be ready to surf the net for the first day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Congratulations on the new job. I am currently as software developer as well, and I was really nervous before starting my first job too. Your first day will most likely be reading documentation while they sort out your workstation, as others have said. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Your first week won't be intense work, so that should give you time to sort out your sleeping pattern. You can work through a few days of being tired, just don't be late getting in.

It sounds like they know that you currently don't know all the technologies and languages and will train you, so I wouldn't worry too much about preparing for your first day. It may help to start learning these languages in your spare time to at least get the basics down, but not a big deal (certainly for your first week). If you have a comp sci background, picking up new languages should be pretty easy.

And remember, don't be afraid to ask stupid questions when you are getting the hang of things and learning their code base. The worst thing you can do is act like you know what someone is talking about when you don't. For sure try and figure things out on your own, but don't burn a day trying to figure something out that a co-worker could help you with in 2 minutes lol.

Good luck, and you should be fine... don't over think it.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

it all went pretty well today actually. and i'm excited to start the actual tech training tomorrow. so, thanks again for all the posts except for spammer Wayne 'who likes to blog,' as i really wish you wouldn't.

Beans

Hi F.G. Glad all went well so far and Good Luck. I reported WayneWilson as that is just not right. Best of luck bud!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12