Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to download all updates for a certain version

Beans

Re: How to download all updates for a certain version

Thank you, dabl.

BC59, I download the Ramestersys, but in order to install it I have to delete from it udev, and I do not think I should do it. So, I am going to try Clonezilla instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Using Kubuntu karmic is a really bad idea.
    Its version of KDE is so old and buggy compared to 11.10.

Rather than posting a thread about sticking with karmic, what is your hardware and what problems to you have with 11.10?

Beans

Post Re: How to download all updates for a certain version

Hello, kio_http:

My post was not about sticking with Karmic Koala nor to encourage others to do it, but it was about how to download and keep the upgrades from Karmic Koala with me.

In the other hand, about the problems that I had encounter using Kubuntu and Ubuntu 10.4 and up...

10.4 and up gave me problems with the monitor display of the laptop, it kept blinking, a lot. Also the Gui, KDE and Gnome, on those versions, seems to not work well, the icons and bars kept moving a lot, from one place to another on the desktop.
    Ah, also, the versions of 10.4 and up, does not recognize my touchpad, and everytime my computer goes to sleep and/or hybernate, the keyboard does not work, at all.
    Those are quotes from previous post, but I am going to try to explain what happened exactly...

Everytime that I try to install any version later than 9.10 on my computer the following things happened:

1. After sleep or hibernate, the keyboard does not work at all. So I was forced to shutdown the computer and restarted it (this happen too with karmic koala).
    2. The screen (monitor) blinks a lot. The image go away for a second and then comes back.
    3. The desktop environment goes wild. Things that were supposed to stay in a particular place, move to another. Example, the panels moving from its original position to another. Another example, when I opened the Launcher Menu, the menu list never stay where it is supposed to open.

When I try to fixed the first of them (keyboard problem), the following things happened:

1. After changing the line [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"] for [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash atkbd.reset"] on the document [/etc/default/grub], the keyboard problem is fixed, but the touchpad does not work at all after that, and it is not recognized by Kubuntu or Ubuntu 10.4 and up. (This fix the problem on 9.10 and does not conflict with the touchpad)

One thing I noticed recently about the blinking problem, is that it seems to be a problem with the version of the kernel. I will explain my self now...

• I few months ago, I decided to upgrade 9.10 kernel for a new one, that was recommended by the Update Manager. When I did it and after restarting the computer, the blinking problem was showing in Karmic Koala too!!!! So I had to reinstalled 9.10 again.

About the Hardware of the computer:

• Processor: Inter Core 2 Duo Processor T6500 / 2.10 GHz
    • Graphics: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    • Display: 14.1" / 1280 x 800
    • Total Memory: 4 GB
    • Storage approx: 320 GB
    • Model: Sony Vaio VGN-CS320J
    Last edited by alunacast38; December 11th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alunacast38 View Post
    [*] After changing the line [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"] for [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash atkbd.reset"] on the document [/etc/default/grub], the keyboard problem is fixed, but the touchpad does not work at all after that, and it is not recognized by Kubuntu or Ubuntu 10.4 and up.
    But did you ever try it with

Code:
    [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_sleep=nonvs"]

Other Vaio users reported that this fixed the keyboard and touchpad problem.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Question Re: How to download all updates for a certain version

No, I did not. Why? What does it does?

Beans

I have an ancient Dell Inspiron 4000 and I am using Lubuntu 11.10-alternate-i386. It seems to function quite well with my OLD computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    But did you ever try it with

Code:
    [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_sleep=nonvs"]

Other Vaio users reported that this fixed the keyboard and touchpad problem.

I Installed the new Kubuntu 11.10, and I try why you had said but I does not do anything at all! It does not fix the problem.

Now I am stuck with a version that does not recognize my touch pad...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12